OCR01549 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Theme of Frog's'

Liontamer

Bitrate is way too high, mix is pretty short - LT

This is Select Start's Remix of Chrono Trigger's Frog's Theme. If you need to title it something different, then you can call it Theme of Frog's. This piece is coming off our new self-titled album, which can be found on www.selectstartband.com. You can order the CD off our site, and get a full track listing there. All the instruments are real, and the band consists of 2 violins, a flute, cello, piano, and guitar. Most of us have been classically trained for over 10 years, and we have been arranging VG music for over 3 years now.

If you need anymore information please let me know.

Thanks so much,

John Cheng

Cellist of Select Start

www.selectstartband.com

selectstartband@gmail.com

P.S. I think it is great what you guys are doing for the VG music community.

------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Kaeru's Theme" (ct-1-19.spc)

It's short. That's about the only criticism I had. Hey, what can I say, I'd enjoy a few more minutes' worth of this.

Throughout the variations of the theme, there were some great changes in the texture and energy level (e.g. :26 & 1:06).

The melody stays pretty conservative, but the presentation is personalized, you have all the other parts supplementing the melody with some swanky new harmonies and other new writing, plus it's played live. Brief, but it gets the message across nicely.

Oh yeah, violins don't sound real at all. Lots of repeating. (Ha!)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Vig about the flute intro. The breathing sounds shakey, sixteenth notes are rushed and uneven, and there are a few sour notes. Some minor tuning issues between the strings and flute in general, but I doubt most audiences would care. I like the little second violin licks at 0:53 and 0:56, and the accoustic strumming is a nice effect. I don't know if I'd agree with some of the harmonic changes you've made the second time around, however. They're certainly interesting... so perhaps they'll grow on me after a few more listens. At 1:09, one of the string instruments (viola or second violin?) clashes pretty badly on its way down the scale.

Despite the brevity of this mix, I really dig your lively "folk dance" approach to Frog's theme; it's something we've never really heard here before. Larry complained about the fakey/repetitiveness of the violins, but I think that sort of adds to the charm. I picture an Irish pub with people dancing on tables etc etc. Mixing's good: logical panning, and no hiss. Creative work! I hope you guys submit again, and perhaps with some more solid playing.

YES

is that really the best take you could get on that flute solo?

other than that, this is pretty good, especially from a composition standpoint. i really dig the harpsichord and (what sounds like) piano voicings in the background.

over the bar as far as i'm concerned, but i wish you would've kicked it off better.

whatever.

YES

well shit

no it isn't the crispest, best flute performance but it doesn't kill the track. its shaky but still leads the listener into the body of the music with a sort of frantic urgency. i do not know if this was the creative intent or strictly a byproduct of the performance but it works

i agree with vig. this feels rushed and messy.

that said, there is plenty of good music here and none of the detracting points are enough to reject it.

YES