Why do Gamecube games not have Chiptunes?

2 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

So I wanted to download some chiptunes. Downloaded a lot today, but then when I went to download Wind Waker and SFA, the chiptunes were not there. Why is this?

I would imagine because Gamecube and beyond uses pre-recorded tracks. Every Nintendo system before it used midi sequences. You're looking for OST albums rather than chiptunes at that point.

I think he's calling all gaming format files "chiptunes", in this case. It's the wrong term, obviously, but that's what I gather from his post.

NES has the .nsf files, Genesis has .vgm files, SNES has .spc, etc.. From a small search, it looks like the Gamecube equivalent would be the .hps or .adp file format, which does need a special plug-in for Winamp to read the files. I won't link any sites here (for questionable legality reasons), but do a quick search for "gamecube hps adp" and you'll find places to get your Gamecube native soundtracks and the necessary plug in for Winamp.

Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, Gario said:

I think he's calling all gaming format files "chiptunes", in this case. It's the wrong term, obviously, but that's what I gather from his post.

NES has the .nsf files, Genesis has .vgm files, SNES has .spc, etc.. From a small search, it looks like the Gamecube equivalent would be the .hps or .adp file format, which does need a special plug-in for Winamp to read the files. I won't link any sites here (for questionable legality reasons), but do a quick search for "gamecube hps adp" and you'll find places to get your Gamecube native soundtracks and the necessary plug in for Winamp.

Hope that helps.

Depends on the developer too. Apparently Sonic Team used .ADX format all the way through Sonic Heroes.

• 1 month later...