Question in regards to starting

Well, unless you do a really bad job of it.  If your whole remix is a MIDI rip, the judges will usually call you on it (and most likely send you a form letter rejection).  And there are a couple of MIDIs out there, and some sheet music, that make some recognizable changes from the original, but it's still OK to use those anyway, as long as you made plenty of changes of your own.

5 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Well, unless you do a really bad job of it.  If your whole remix is a MIDI rip, the judges will usually call you on it (and most likely send you a form letter rejection).  And there are a couple of MIDIs out there, and some sheet music, that make some recognizable changes from the original, but it's still OK to use those anyway, as long as you made plenty of changes of your own.

I was posting under the assumption the user was making the remix their own

Sure, start with sheet music. Some of us do. Some of us use our ears and guess. Some of us download a midi file. It doesn't matter what we start with. It only matters what we end up with.

If you're just starting out, it doesn't matter anyway. It'll take you a while to get good at this stuff, so anything that helps you is a good thing. But once your skills are on the level where you can get a remix approved by the panel, you might find yourself limited by starting from something too similar from the original. This applies to sheet music, midi, and your own transcription of the original. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it's more difficult to make it your own arrangement. But it's a later concern. Just get started and have fun.

Yeah I was mostly referring to starting with sheet music. I want to eventually be able to remix by eat but I have a background in piano so I wanted to makes sure I wasn't hindering my artistic ability by starting with sheet music and going from there,

5 hours ago, Coco292 said:

Yeah I was mostly referring to starting with sheet music. I want to eventually be able to remix by ear but I have a background in piano so I wanted to makes sure I wasn't hindering my artistic ability by starting with sheet music and going from there,

Nah, you gotta start from somewhere - reading sheet music to check your work is as good as any a place to start. With a piano background, another method that can help is to try to play music by ear, then write it down on the sheet music (or DAW). Playing music by ear takes practice, but it'll get you one step closer to dictating music on a DAW in the future. Best of luck!