*NO* Pokémon Black Version 2 'Glaciated Horizons'

Gario

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: Almighty_Arceus (ft. VanilluxePavilion)
Email address: 
UserID: 33542

Submission Information
Name of Game(s) Arranged: Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
Name of Arrangement: "Glaciated Horizons"
Name of Individual song(s) arranged: Battle! Vs Colress!
Comments: This floaty little piece is influenced by the sounds of ESPRIT as well as a mix of my own sounds and the sounds of VanilluxePavilion as featured in this remix. We wanted to make a more spaced out and fantastical take on the iconic theme of Colress from Black and White 2. We added lots of soft pastel colors to this mix, mixed with some tight snare and deep bass drum to keep the mix driving. Picture yourself flying in an airship above crystaline clouds, on a pink sky. That's the aesthetic of this mix: tough yet airy. Hope you enjoy!

Please let me know if there's any problem with the attachment.

I really like this direction you took on this one. It's ethereal, the textures and harmonies are delicious, and the use of panning space is handled particularly well. I think you took something of a strange source and for the most part made it sound much more pleasant and palatable (save for at 2:00 - that part still sounds strange, but I suppose I can let it slide).

The production on this is very wet, but considering the new age sound you're going for it doesn't sound out of place. The mixing is generally good, but the themes do not pop out at all in this. Throughout the track, the synths used for your leads are mixed at around the same level as your middle-ground textures. Bring them out a little bit - you have the sound space to give them presence, so there's no reason not to.

Surprisingly, though the background often sounds the same with that almost mystical backing the track avoids sounding too static by knowing when to change the harmonies and tone at just the right time... for the most part. From 3:00 - 4:40 the changing lead isn't enough to keep the arrangement from stagnating. Cutting that a little short so that it gets to 4:40 faster would help make the section less static, or you could introduce something different in the harmonies or backing texture to change it up a little more in that section.

There's an odd glitch at 1:36 where the music notably skips. Either a rendering error or a place where you tried to paste something onto the track, but regardless it sounds like a mistake, so fix that up. Also, the levels of this track feel pretty quiet throughout. It's partly because something is ALWAYS playing in the background and the minimal use of sidechaining, but it wouldn't be hard to give this a quick soft limit to get another 3-4dBs out of this with minimal loss of quality. Keep that in mind, and see if there's anything on the mastering side of things that could push out a little more volume from this.

I really like the approach to this, and though it's long I felt it really is a cool listen. There are a few elements that I'd like to see cleaned up, fixed up, etc., before I can pass this, though - lead mixing, static portions like 3:00 - 4:40, glitch at 1:36 and overall levels should be addressed. It's an interesting and unexpected direction for this track to go, though, so I hope to hear a resubmission soon!

NO

I can't hear that glitch at 1:36 Gario mentioned (although I hear something like what he described several times at 2:00-2:10, and at 6:22), and overall levels seemed fine to me, but I can't argue with his comment about the static nature of the track.  The ethereal backing only lets up a couple of times throughout the arrangement, so it gets quite fatiguing.  It's only one issue, but it's a substantial one.  Switch things up a few times to keep the arrangement interesting and I think this'll be fine.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/04/02 - (2N) Pokémon Black Version 2 'Glaciated Horizons'
  • 1 month later...

For me this does come down to the fact that the track does run a little long overall, and some ideas just feel like they wear themselves out. The backing didn't bother me as much throughout, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a couple breaks here and there. I think having some ideas get trimmed down a little could make a difference here. Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)