Got a MIDI Keyboard...but now what?

What keyboard did you get? A stand is usually a good idea for larger keyboards, but if you can fit it on your desktop that can be better (but the working height might be a problem). 

I once built a shelf for my keyboard that could be folded up against the wall, so it didn't take up any desktop space when I didn't use it. There are lots of solutions, but it all depends on your desktop situation and your keyboard of course.

3 minutes ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Water bottle right next to the controller and a cup, presumably also full of liquid actually resting ON the MIDI controller.

The balls on this guy...

Haha there was a perfect space on the synth for a coaster and a cup, the water bottle's empty though. I have faith in myself to not ruin my life.

Judging by all of the room limitations I'm likely gonna face, I'm gonna have to send the MIDI keyboard back.  An 88-keys is roughly 5 feet long and won't be very convenient for the set up I am thinking of.  Gee, I wish I had just asked at OCR and done more research before I took the plunge.  Luckily, AVSound has a return policy :D 

I'm thinking I MIGHT escape with a 77 key, but it's prob gonna wind up being 61 once all is said and done.  Which makes me a bit sad, but c'est la vie.  

On 20/04/2017 at 8:52 PM, HoboKa said:

Judging by all of the room limitations I'm likely gonna face, I'm gonna have to send the MIDI keyboard back.  An 88-keys is roughly 5 feet long and won't be very convenient for the set up I am thinking of.  Gee, I wish I had just asked at OCR and done more research before I took the plunge.  Luckily, AVSound has a return policy :D 

I'm thinking I MIGHT escape with a 77 key, but it's prob gonna wind up being 61 once all is said and done.  Which makes me a bit sad, but c'est la vie.  

The dimensions of the product should always be listed in the specifications. Get a tape measure and make sure before you buy anything. I always do this to avoid immense disappointment later. I've modded my desk along the way to be able to cram as much as i can and leave space for new things in the future. I'm pretty much always thinking about something i can get to fill a space on my desk.

In regards to getting an 88 key to put on the desk i would argue that it's excessive in any case. You're desk is also you workspace for pen and paper so you want some space on it! I'd suggest having a keyboard that large on a stand to the side so you can turn your chair to it when you need to. Get a wireless keyboard so you can sit it on top of the piano when you go to use it, set up key shortcuts for record, loop start, track start and undo so if you make a mistake during recording you can undo and try again without any need to move back to your computer screen. The only reason i could see to get an 88key is if you're looking to play a realistic piano or synth performance. It wouldn't really be of any benefit for orchestral arrangement (minus piano), since most instruments have quite a limited octave range, and you certainly won't need it for electronic music. On your desk have a 3 (maybe 4) octave keyboard controller with a bunch of assignable knobs for your soft plugins and leave the 88 key for anything that requires you to play right and left hand simulataneously more than 3/4 octaves apart. You'll find the capable remixers on here (as Timaeus has already shown) don't really need a large keyboard because of the vast possibilties MIDI programming offers.

8 hours ago, DarkEco said:

The dimensions of the product should always be listed in the specifications. Get a tape measure and make sure before you buy anything. I always do this to avoid immense disappointment later. I've modded my desk along the way to be able to cram as much as i can and leave space for new things in the future. I'm pretty much always thinking about something i can get to fill a space on my desk.

In regards to getting an 88 key to put on the desk i would argue that it's excessive in any case. You're desk is also you workspace for pen and paper so you want some space on it! I'd suggest having a keyboard that large on a stand to the side so you can turn your chair to it when you need to. Get a wireless keyboard so you can sit it on top of the piano when you go to use it, set up key shortcuts for record, loop start, track start and undo so if you make a mistake during recording you can undo and try again without any need to move back to your computer screen. The only reason i could see to get an 88key is if you're looking to play a realistic piano or synth performance. It wouldn't really be of any benefit for orchestral arrangement (minus piano), since most instruments have quite a limited octave range, and you certainly won't need it for electronic music. On your desk have a 3 (maybe 4) octave keyboard controller with a bunch of assignable knobs for your soft plugins and leave the 88 key for anything that requires you to play right and left hand simulataneously more than 3/4 octaves apart. You'll find the capable remixers on here (as Timaeus has already shown) don't really need a large keyboard because of the vast possibilties MIDI programming offers.

Gotcha.  Those are good tips, thanks :D