OCR01538 - *YES* Metroid 'Sugar, Water, Purple'

Liontamer

Need to get the <6MB version once it's out; definitely won't be a flood by then... - LT

EDIT: Sam PM'd me that he uploaded the <6MB version

-Jon

Hey Overclocked people! Forgive me for I have sinned, it's been eight months since my last submission. I've been trying to have a website. 'Herograw the great' gave me a domain name and a bunch of space, which I named after my grandfather and I uploaded a whole bunch of stuff.. and wrote a ton of new original material but then I noticed.. OH YEAH!! I HAVE NO WEBLAYOUT!!! Well.. that's still the case. I'm getting help though from "Less Ashamed of Self".. maybe by the time you guys receive this submission there'll be something here: www.arnoldascher.com other than the under construction sign.

I think the Nofair theme from Metroid I is pretty awesome. I missed out on this game as a kid, I was too busy playing guardian legend and zelda to get to play as a spacefaring chick that can turn herself into a chrono trigger style roly poly to fit through cracks. When I did play the game, it was via emulator, and when I got to Norfair hahahah I certainly noticed the music. Immediately I had to stop playing and f!@# around on my keyboard. When you hear something exciting, it's an itch that must be scratched to take it to the piano. Anyhow... I had lots of fun with this one.

Ignore the Artist info.. I'm still shnabubula.. I just used "samuel ascher-weiss" while it's on my site. I'll always be Shnabubula @ OCR!!

Anyway.. as with all my other piano stuff, it's entirely improvised.. so there is no sheet music however... if anybody ever did a transcription I WOULD BE HUGELY HONORED.. somebody once did about half of anachronism... but they didn't finish ;(

PS: the file size should no longer be 7.52MB by the time you guys receive this, but if it is, I will replace it with

a lower encoded one. However temporarily I need the 192kbs version to be up for a few days though I doubt there'll be a flood before then.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 4 ("Norfair")

I kind of see where Vig was coming from when he called Figaro Chiptune "compositional cockwaving" or something to that effect. There were enough times where Sam just started going off on original runs (e.g. :12-1:10) that didn't really go anywhere or thematically connect with the source arrangement. Played well, but too far off the beaten path at the expense of the source and thus not my thing on a personal level.

Nonetheless, Sam did some nice stuff coming out of all that at 1:10, harmonizing the arrangement of Norfair before going into some more genteel stuff at 1:38...along with "genteel cockwaving" by ornamenting the Norfair theme with a bunch of original stuff on top from 1:53-2:23. Started getting over the top again from 2:23-2:54, where it seemed the Norfair arrangement again took a back seat to the original material, but all was good from 2:56-3:22.

Even better stuff from 3:29-4:22, placing more of a focus on arranging the Norfair theme, at least comparatively speaking with other sections. Strong, energetic finish at 4:40, throwing in some cheese at the very end.

I'm certainly not against adding original ideas into an arrangement. I'd argue though that some of the original sections on top of the Norfair arrangement didn't integrate with the Norfair theme, which was why I had issue with those writing choices.

Despite those criticisms, the Norfair theme is substantially used throughout the track. When it's the primary focus, Sam really comes through with some intricate, and stylish arrangement ideas that only he can think up. Will it be your cup of tea, brothers and sisters? I dunno. But can it be?

YES

Who do you think you are, Keith Jarrett?

Well you're pretty convincing, so I can't complain. In fact, this pretty much has me splooging all over myself. A pity you dont have the time to fully explore your ideas to their potential and have a more leisurely dynamic.

YES

Anyone who votes no is off the panel, fyi.

I'm certainly not against adding original ideas into an arrangement. I'd argue though that some of the original sections on top of the Norfair arrangement didn't integrate with the Norfair theme, which was why I had issue with those writing choices.

Are you familiar with the concept of improvising?

Good God, people.

YES

Good God, people.

I explained why, you filth! :lol:

Good God, people.

generally, the purpose of an improvised solo is not to "integrate" with the main melodic theme of the source. My solos in LftY, Silent Progression, and Flood Plain had very little to do with the original melodies, and that was never brought up as an issue.

Good God, people.

generally, the purpose of an improvised solo is not to "integrate" with the main melodic theme of the source. My solos in LftY, Silent Progression, and Flood Plain had very little to do with the original melodies, and that was never brought up as an issue.

What I'm talking about is not simply having an wholly original section, but playing original material on top of the source melody and the two parts (in my opinion) not connecting/harmonizing.