What genre of music fits each style of Sonic best?

OzGuy

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 10:08 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

am I the only one who didn't really think this was an argument? More just talking about why I disagreed with his points? lol

I came here for an argument. 

I thought that was the definition of an argument? An argument is a disagreement of of view points. You saying "I disagreed with his points" is pretty much you saying "I was arguing" :P Also, you can say you were debating if you like. They're considered one and the same, altho Debating is generally considered a bit more formal and less aggressive I suppose but even so, You could argue (lol) that you were arguing

Ok time to stop with the tongue in cheek debatument: I prefer the Genesis/Mega Drive music. More funky. More groovy. Generally speaking. I can certainly appreciate the rock stylings of the Crush 40 stuff tho :)

• 3 months later...

Okay. Recently, I played BetterSADX. And now I generally think that "Open Your Heart" is pretty cool. Reminds me of Guilty Gear a lot. Heavy metal is perfect for a Sonic game's main theme. Also, Kenichi Tokoi must be the main Sonic composer. Such a talented guy.

• 3 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:08 PM, SuaveDandy said:

Okay. Recently, I played BetterSADX. And now I generally think that "Open Your Heart" is pretty cool. Reminds me of Guilty Gear a lot. Heavy metal is perfect for a Sonic game's main theme. Also, Kenichi Tokoi must be the main Sonic composer. Such a talented guy.

Great to see we're all on some semblance of the same page now.

Tokoi-san I'm not so familiar with - Tomoya Ohtani is absolutely amazing when it's his time to shine. "His World" is my personal favourite Sonic theme - it's just... the riff, the chorus, it's like a cinematic letimotif for Sonic. Brilliant.

UPDATE: I googled Tokoi and found out he did Tropical Resort and Red Mountain. SO MUCH YES

• 7 months later...

Late to the party, but it's weird to hear the Sonic Adventure soundtrack called pop punk - I always thought of it more as hard rock/funk. There's a pretty strong funk influence in the character select and Hot Shelter themes, for example.

Y'all, this soundtrack is HOT. Jun Senoue's tone, rhythm playing, and the active basslines are my favorite things about this soundtrack. His rhythm tone isn't too thick or too thin and has a heat to it, and his lead tones are incredibly smooth. He also adds a lot of rhythmic accents using pinch harmonics and not-quite-pinch-harmonics, and pushes against the tempo a bit to add interest. For an example, listen to the rhythm line in the character select jingle during the solos. If the rhythm guitar and drum parts were people, they'd both be dancing and the guitar would be grinding on the drums. That degree of rhythmic variation really isn't common in metal or hard rock - bands typically stick to varying between muted and unmuted notes, and every now and then throw in a full pinch harmonic with some vibrato for attitude - they can't take too much attention away from the vocals.

I also really like the active basslines. You can actually hear what the bass is doing, and it doesn't just shadow the rhythm guitar - it's a unique part that still complements what's happening in the rest of the song, but without taking too much attention away from it. Best example of this would be the Sky Deck theme. Note the hints of influence from surf rock and boogie.

This soundtrack feels like summertime. None of the other soundtracks have captured that same feeling - even SA2 doesn't have the same heat and attitude.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No, no. For classic Sonic, it's 70s and 80s pop and R&B, as that's exactly what they ripped off to make a lot of the soundtracks back in the day. I'll post comparisons of actual songs vs. Classic Sonic music if requested. Too many to be coincidence.

Edited by Seth Skoda
I just wanted to add something

On 6/13/2019 at 3:29 AM, Paul said:

Late to the party, but it's weird to hear the Sonic Adventure soundtrack called pop punk - I always thought of it more as hard rock/funk. There's a pretty strong funk influence in the character select and Hot Shelter themes, for example.

Yeah, I think it's more like "power pop" or something. Hard rock? I dunno. Hard rock is something like AC/DC.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:17 AM, Seth Skoda said:

No, no. For classic Sonic, it's 70s and 80s pop and R&B, as that's exactly what they ripped off to make a lot of the soundtracks back in the day. I'll post comparisons of actual songs vs. Classic Sonic music if requested. Too many to be coincidence.

Well, Michael Jackson partly made Sonic 3's soundtrack so... Although the innocence of Sonic 1's Green Hill theme reminds me of the pop songs of the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...