Trouble With Techno

Get the Pro. Adding as much knobs to an ES (which is semi-weighted - no hammer action!) as the Pro has will cost you just as much as the Pro will: see http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E

So, the deciding factor is then the feel of the keyboard. Also, by saving up for the Pro you can directly play with the knobs - really worth it :).

I figured that'd be the answer. I was leaning that way anyway, 'cause as you guys said - you get what you pay for. I'm just trying to think of other reasons to use the knobs and sliders. Heck, what do I go to in FL to start customizing a MIDI controller anyway? I need to learn FL inside out first, I guess, 'cause there's a LOT I don't understand yet. And that monstrous 170 page thread scares me.

To let a slider on a controller move the one on the screen - well, that's called "assigning knobs" or "MIDI Learn" or "controller mapping".

Fortunately, instead of a 170-page thread all you have to do is look for a tutorial that treats this process :).

Here's what the manual says about it: http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/automation_internal.htm

I also noticed that a more fitting title for this thread would be "Trouble with Technology" :D

Get the Pro. Adding as much knobs to an ES (which is semi-weighted - no hammer action!) as the Pro has will cost you just as much as the Pro will: see http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E

So, the deciding factor is then the feel of the keyboard. Also, by saving up for the Pro you can directly play with the knobs - really worth it :).

Uhh, wait a sec, I should've checked.

The ES model is $200. The add-on knob and slider panel that hooks up to a keyboard is $200. That's $400. The Pro is $500.

How is the pro a better deal?

I wouldn't be so sure about getting any kind of Keystation as I've heard pretty bad things about them (once again, what you pay for is what you get). Unless you're a hardcore piano player and you NEED all 88 keys, I reccomend getting an Novation (which, by the way, has MUCH better MIDI mapping support than the Keystation/Oxygen series), Korg, or M-Audio Axiom MIDI controller instead.

I wouldn't be so sure about getting any kind of Keystation as I've heard pretty bad things about them (once again, what you pay for is what you get). Unless you're a hardcore piano player and you NEED all 88 keys, I reccomend getting an Novation (which, by the way, has MUCH better MIDI mapping support than the Keystation/Oxygen series), Korg, or M-Audio Axiom MIDI controller instead.

Well I figured the 88-keys things was good so I can go through all the octaves in songs, or at least have that option. You don't think that's beneficial? Or will I not be doing that as much as I'm thinking?

What's MIDI Mapping support?

Ahhh, being a newbie sucks.

What I mean is, you should be fine in FLStudio with a Keystation, but whenever I try assigning knobs and stuff with my Oxygen49 in Reason or Sonar it won't work, and only the keys work.

Also, with a smaller keyboard, you can go through all the octaves, I can't think of a MIDI controller that doesn't have an octave up/down button on it, that way you can gety all of the octaves, just not necesarrily all at once.

• 2 months later...

Long time since I posted. I never bought a MIDI controller yet. Had so much going on. Still planning to do it, though. I'm nervous about buying that Keystation Pro 88 I was talking about. I just don't like when I hear negative reviews. Then again, I only use FL right now, and there are positive things said as well.