FF6 - Searching for Friends || Chrono Trigger - Frog's Theme

Hi everyone - I tried to mash up the FF6 Airship theme from the World of Ruin with Frog's theme from Chrono Trigger.

This was a tricky remix, since individually these songs are stylistically independent. But I played the melodies over each other, and thought that it was a great enough fit to try a remix. I experimented a lot with different instruments for leads, especially for Frog's theme. Normally I would never use a trumpet but here, it felt just right! Hope you guys enjoy it!!

Any feedback appreciated, good or bad. Always willing to learn to get better :)

Remix Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opa-ADmpmsU

Source (FF6 Searching for friends): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvZ6Dqv7Ws

Source (Chrono Trigger Frog's Theme): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7PYi5b8jg

The originals had this distinct epic feeling while your remix feels like something I would hear in Mega-Man, which is a good thing. While I do quite enjoy the change into Frog's theme. there are sometimes where it sounds kinda harsh (like the trumpet around 1:16) , just a little bit of EQ would help.

Overall a quite enjoyable core that just needs some EQ.

• 3 weeks later...

The best airship song of all FF games, together with the fantastic Frog's theme. Couldn't go wrong from the beginning. Solid arrangement, nice clean sounding mix.. Maybe a little bit too clean, makes it sound just a tiny bit on the thin side.  But all in all, great work! Followed your Youtube channel, would be great if you could do the same for me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A reminder to you and everyone: evaluators are supposed to give you your evaluation within a week or two of marking it for evaluation. If we don't, bump it, pm us, say something. We've promised you a review. Hold us to it.

eval:

The compression is strong here. The pumping is really apparent. That's really annoying.

The sound design is quite simplistic, as if it used snes soundfonts. That can work when the arrangement and mixing supports it, but that's not the case here. I suggest you rethink the sound design entirely. The stuff around 3:30 stands out, but it's stemming from the issue of simplistic sounds in an arrangement that doesn't have a lot going on. You can make this work, I think, but it'd require a lot of work in the sequencing and mixing. So I recommend changing it.

It's hard to tell at times what's supposed to be the lead. Sometimes the lead is just really loud and annoying. The mixing needs work. Give each einstrument its own space depending on its role in the mix, and its qualities. You don't want a background instrument to take the spotlight, and you don't want the drums to overpower everything else. Find the balance. Make space for the important instruments.

The arrangement is a fairly straightforward take on the sources. The sources fit really well together, so there's definitely something here worth developing. The transition to the triplet beat of the second source was particularly cool. But I think it's too conservative in its current state. The second half has a lot more interesting stuff going on, but I'm concerned it's not enough.

It needs work. Good mix of sources, conservative arrangement. Simplistic sound design and poor mixing. Cool idea, worth developing.