*NO* Amazing Spider-Man (GB) 'The Amazing Spider Dance'

Gario

Good Evening,

my Name is Jens. I am from germany and I’m an ambitious music producer.

Two years ago I started to produce music and my goal is to produce music for movies, videogames public locations and audioplays.

Currently I’m working on a song with a female singer, and we’re planning to release an music video soon. I hope to get get some attention when I’m starting to upload remixes here as well.

This remix was one of my first songs. (the first version of it was created in 2013) and a friend of mine told me to upload at OC Remix. 

My user ID is: 34576

The Song is the song of the Cutscenes before every stage from the gameboy game The Amazing Spider released 1990. The original composer is David Wise. 

I played this game in lot in my childhood. It’s not the best game, but I always liked this catchy tune with it’s dull sound. Just for fun I decided to make a remix of it.

Here is the link to the soundfile:

I’m looking forward to hear from you. 

With best wishes from Hamburg 

ExplorerAUDIO
Jens Wessels 
Fuhlsbüttler Str. 618 
22337 Hamburg 
Tel: 0152 0914 01 31 
E-Mail: 

www.exploreraudio.de

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I... can't believe someone is remixing this song from this soundtrack. No kidding, first game I owned for the GB, and the only game my family and I owned for quite some time for it. It was a cool little interlude for dialogue scenes, but it didn't strike me as remix material. Shows you what I know.

Even still, of all the sources, the one represented here is a looped four beat pattern, not one I'd expect something interesting and cool to be created from. For what this is, though, it delivers, taking the texture and generating new harmonies, motifs, etc., all while keeping that texture playing throughout (or at least for the 50% mark that we often look for). The source is arguably buried, but to be honest it's clear enough for me to count it here where it's present. A quick breakdown, with both a note of the sections that skip a beat (which a strict interpretation might count as only 3/4 source representation):

0:00 - 0:15.5

0:15.5 - 0:31 (a beat cut)

0:39 - 1:19 (a beat cut)

2:14.75 - 2:45.75 (a beat cut)

102 / 170 = 60%

80 / 170 = 47% (if beat cut is counted off)

To be safe, I'd suggest giving one or two references in the 1:19 - 2:15 section - that part is quite devoid of source, and after a while I forget we're remixing that Spiderman source. One could call me picky on this, but at the same time it's not the judges panel's fault that the arranger picked a four beat source, eh? It was bound to be pretty tricky.

There are some strange elements to this arrangement that hold this back for me aside from source, though. The arrangement first and foremost doesn't sound finished. For what's given, the track does a nice job developing and breaking up into a few sections, but the ending doesn't sound definitive. It instead ends in the middle of a phrase, letting the reverb ring out, which is... strange. Finish the thought, and either give it something that can give the listener the idea that the track has concluded or just give it a solid cut-off ending. What's here doesn't work, but you don't need to make the track much longer to make it sound complete.

The background swooping synth (like at 0:23) sounds strange. I don't have anything against synths like that, but the portamento is so extreme it just sounds like wrong notes. Lighten up on that portamento sweep so it doesn't sound like bad notes. Most of the other synths are solid, though, if a little vanilla.

It's a very strange source to tackle, and it's certainly a valiant attempt. With a small amount of adjustment I could see this track being a neat little novelty on the site. As is, though, it needs some work on the ending and synth portamento, as well as possibly connecting the 1:19 - 2:15 section to the source better.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/05/30 - (1N) Amazing Spider-Man (GB) 'The Amazing Spider Dance'

It's difficult to go anywhere with a source like this other than additive, but there still should have been more interpretive work done with what little melody the source tune had via some sort of rhythmic changes or grace notes, just something else there to further develop the arrangement. Right now the only differentiation in the source usage over time was dropping the melodic part out and leaving the beats, which wasn't much in terms of development.

The gradual additive approach employing original lines was commendable, Jens, but the entire texture was so minimal and skeletal, and never really filled up the soundscape at any point. The beats had some bass presence but were otherwise pretty empty. It's a decent groove, but there just isn't much substance to this as a standalone piece of music.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/05/30 - (2N) Amazing Spider-Man (GB) 'The Amazing Spider Dance'

I can't do much here except echo everything Gario and LT said.  "Minimal and skeletal" exactly describes my own #1 concern.  This feels like an early WIP where some of the instruments simply haven't been added in yet.  I think this source can be fleshed out into a full ReMix, but it'll take quite a bit more work on top of what you have here.

NO