The World Ends With You - Calling (10YR Anniversary Remix)

Rhodyn

Oh hey, TWEWY remix incoming, eh? I gotta give you props for giving that source some love - one of the best soundtracks and games out there. Hard to believe ten years later and we don't have remixes for it on OCR yet...

Alas. Nice approach you have on here, though - I like it. I'm listening on my phone (you could even say I 'woke up' to it, lol) so I don't have the equipment to give constructive advice. Ah well, always great hearing people giving TWEWY some love.

• 4 weeks later...

No source link, no source comment. I don't think it's too much to ask to have the remixer supply this when you want us to evaluate your remix. You'd have to supply ocr with one when you sub it anyway.

eval:

The vocals are buried. The strings lead isn't very expressive, and there's some mechanicalness in the sequencing that stands out in the more exposed parts (2:42).

The sound design is really cool. The mixing, aside from the weird decision to bury the vocals, is pretty good.

Can't comment on source usage. Maybe we can bother Gario about that, since he seems to know the soundtrack.

The arrangement isn't very dynamic, but it has some variation to the intensity, and a nice break. And it has groove. So no complaints there. It's a bit repetitive, though, despite the groove.

The ending is rather abrupt.

Without considering the source, it's impossible to say if this would pass or not. But unless arrangement/source is an issue, it could pass, despite the strange mixing choice regarding the lyrics. I'll defer to someone who knows the source, or wait for a bump with a source link. Cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who knows the source very well, I'll say that this does cover that ground well enough. There IS one issue that will get this instantly rejected, though: those vocals are straight from the source. Normally that isn't a big issue (unless the samples make up a significant portion of the source connection), but this is sampled from Square Enix. They specifically forbade OCR's use of sampling their games, so we legally couldn't put this on the front page.

Seeing that without those vocals this arrangement wouldn't work, you'll need to find people willing to record vocals that would compensate for that. Either that or impliment some clever instrumental ideas that replace the vocals entirely, but that would essentially transform this into something else entirely. Either way, no matter how good the arrangement is, if there are samples from Square Enix in there we actually can't post it, unfortunately. It's still a cool remix, though, aside from the strange mixing issues that Rozo pointed out.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was a really difficult remix to make since I had to make the lyrics sound solo. Even though the instruments were playing in the background.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:48 AM, Naru said:

If you need someone to do vocals, I'd be willing to help.

I'd take you up on that offer. The only reason I put a chorus in was because the lyrics were simply too quiet. I can edit it for vocals and it would sound ALOT better after some changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 0:34 AM, Rhodyn said:

I'd take you up on that offer. The only reason I put a chorus in was because the lyrics were simply too quiet. I can edit it for vocals and it would sound ALOT better after some changes.

I'll happily do it for you. TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time. Just PM me what you need me to record and I'll record it.