Albert Odyssey - Legend of Eldean [エスタラント]

As one of my favorite video game composers, I had to remix a Naoki Kodaka ("Blaster Master"/"Batman"/"Raf World") piece at some point. Here's something I'm currently working on, inspired by one of many beautiful tracks taken from Sunsoft's SEGA Saturn RPG -- "Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean":

It's still drafty, but feel free to share feedback and advice while friends and I work on arrangements and lyrics writing ;)

EDIT: Lyrics (ver. 1.0) are now available in the SoundCloud description of the track.

• 4 weeks later...

Very pretty! Makes me think of a calm stroll along a busy city street.

A couple of things that stand out to me:

• acoustic and electric guitars sound VERY VST-ish (but knowing you, I'm sure performances are on the way)
  • the pan flute, although very fitting choice of instrument, carries the lead throughout the middle of this piece - it gets a bit much for me after a while. I'd suggest letting a few more instruments to take over the lead, such as saxophone or clarinet, etc. This, IMO, will vary the sound a bit more and keep folks engaged in that pretty lead you have going on.
  • Bass and piano do not sound EQed and feel a bit buried in the soundscape. I like the parts, though.
  • Ending feel unresolved. Probably subjective.

Other than that, I like where this is going! I'd like to hear this again once you have all the performances in place - including vocals!

3 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

Ending feel unresolved. Probably subjective.

Not a big fan of it either and I hope we'll find a better way to end the track eventually.

Knowing you, I'm sure performances are on the way.

Absolutely ^^ This early WIP is still very drafty but we're planning to go deeper in the arrangement to make it sound more like a "Modern Country" piece. The main reason I'm posting this first sketchy work-in-progress is to make sure the structure is somewhat alright. I'll be updating the topic as soon as the remix will be ;)

The pan flute [...] carries the lead throughout the middle of this piece.

... And will eventually be replaced by the singer's performance. Having the basic lyrics' melody established was necessary to make the lyricist's work easier -- though it might be altered depending on what him and the singer will have in mind when it'll be recording time.

I'd like to hear this again once you have all the performances in place.

We're taking it slowly but I'd like to have the piece done for March 2018 to celebrate the series' 25th Anniversary :D There're so many other mixes each of us have to take care of too.