MnP 75: Super Smash Bros Brawl - Bramble Blast

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 75: Super Smash Bros Brawl - Bramble Blast

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP75_BrambleBlastSSBBv3.mid

Youtube:

While this rendition is more lively than its original counterpart from Donkey Kong Country, I love the mood this gives off. I've got great memories of this playing in the background while going through Subspace Emissary. Except for those big-lipped plant things that grapple on to you and were a pain to knock off. :-P

-Zorrakh

Deadline: June 25 Sun @ 1 PM

Vote Ends: June 27 Tues @ 11 PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

I've heard of the MnP compos, but as I have little music making experience, I never paid attention to them. When I saw the source, though, I was intrigued, and after I looked over the rules I thought, "I might actually be able to pull this off!" After some experimenting, I made... something. :) I'm now happy to say I have my very first ReMix under my belt! Submitted!

1 hour ago, Silverpool said:

I've heard of the MnP compos, but as I have little music making experience, I never paid attention to them. When I saw the source, though, I was intrigued, and after I looked over the rules I thought, "I might actually be able to pull this off!" After some experimenting, I made... something. :) I'm now happy to say I have my very first ReMix under my belt! Submitted!

YES, now I can submit my crappy track as a BONUS - thank you Silverpool ;)

4 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Well I had something in the works, but it's so...unsatisfactory.  I don't have the time to try and humanize my crappy samples T_T 

EDIT

Arrrg, I'm gonna plow thru it anyways.  The round needs to have a voter bonus ;)

Are you humanizing velocities, timings, etc by hand? Do you not have a humanize function available to you in your DAW?

10 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

Are you humanizing velocities, timings, etc by hand? Do you not have a humanize function available to you in your DAW?

By hand mainly, FL Studio seems to be a bit limiting in that area.  Maybe I kinda undersold my track a bit too *shrug*

EDIT

FL does have humanizing features for velocities and groove stuff - humanizing note lengths and start times seems harder to figure out.  To be fair, I didn't do nearly as much by hand as I used to.  I'll see if I can concoct something better next round. 

2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

@HoboKa Not sure why you submitted yours as a bonus mix.

Anyway it's nice to see some good representation this round. I wonder if anyone else is working on something for this?

Psyche!  Changed my mind, after a few listens and a slight tweak.  I'll be participating now.  Whew...it's exhausting being so mercurial.  And the POWER of ADHD!!!

On 6/24/2017 at 7:30 PM, Silverpool said:

How do you vote exactly? If I can figure that out, I'll definitely vote.

Go back to the compothasauce page, pick the top 3 people.  If there are only 2 participants, you leave the 3rd slot open.  But there are 4 this round, so need to worry about that.  Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on that Silverpool.  EDIT) Oh and you can't vote for yourself :P

4 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Go back to the compothasauce page, pick the top 3 people.  If there are only 2 participants, you leave the 3rd slot open.  But there are 4 this round, so need to worry about that.  Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on that Silverpool.  EDIT) Oh and you can't vote for yourself :P

Thank you for your response! I figured it out and submitted my vote!

I hope to get it in tonight. I've got to play catch-up on schoolwork because the site was down for a couple days. Also, I'm sorry to say I couldn't get a bonus mix in: I thought I had a scheduled save for my DAW projects and it closed on me, but I forgot I changed the save settings, so I lost almost all my work. XD

Good luck, everyone!

Results

• APZX got 1st with 13 points.
  • HoboKrap got 2nd with 12 points.
  • Dex got 3rd with 11 points
  • Silverpool got 4th with 7 points

APZX PM me for the round 76 entry!

Comments

Mirror, mirror on the wall it seems that APZX is the most MnP of them all.  Because it's..........Smash Bro's Brawl??  It rhymes.  Congrats dude, hit me up with entry 76 when you are able :D