Super Sonic Racing

Everybody Super Sonic Racing!
I am looking for singers who want to help with vocals on this track so i don't have to use a spot holder. The vocals are currently being covered by a simple Saw till i can get my hands on the vocals for this song as I can not do this song justice with my singing voice. The final will not have the Saw in it and obviously an actual ending.

Yeah I just got a whole new sound kit so alot of the sounds are getting changed. That saw is getting trashed and the low is going to get a major overhaul (I played it on some good quality speakers and it's pretty lack luster). 

Also if I am not mistaken, @Smooth4lyfe1987 I think I saw a video of yours were you did a fist bump version of this song. Good job by the way.

On 6/20/2017 at 1:15 AM, DJ H0us3C0rP3 said:

Yeah I just got a whole new sound kit so alot of the sounds are getting changed. That saw is getting trashed and the low is going to get a major overhaul (I played it on some good quality speakers and it's pretty lack luster). 

Also if I am not mistaken, @Smooth4lyfe1987 I think I saw a video of yours were you did a fist bump version of this song. Good job by the way.

Ha yeah thanks man!

• 4 weeks later...

Given that you're looking to add vocals, an eval now would be incomplete. But with that in mind, here's an eval of what you've got so far.

eval:

The snare doesn't quite seem like the right fit for the sound. It stands out in a weird way. You might want to experiment with a few different drum sounds to find a better fit.

I like the dynamics of the arrangement. Those little breaks are just great. The dynamics of the audio not so much. Careful with how you compress the output.

Random vocal clip. Pet peeve of mine. But it also doesn't seem to fit. I get the idea of prefacing the dubstep breakdown with a voice clip. But the transition into the clip's part doesn't work imo.

There's some weird chord stuff happening in the 2:37 part. I get that the source has some cool key changes and key-breaking chord sequences (and not always good ones, imo), but the ones in that part stand out as particularly awkward. The ones from 2:48 and on are cool though. I like the sound design, but there might be some odd overtone in one of the instruments used here that's adding to the chord troubles I'm hearing. See if you can identify something like that.

The dubstep breakdowns are cool. I don't think I could do that any better myself. I'm looking forward to hearing them with vocals in there. They both end rather disappointingly, though. Transitions, dude. Do them well, and the whole track flows so much better. That applies to the changes to key as well, eg 1:09, 1:38, 2:37, 2:42, 3:23, 4:42. I'm wondering if transposing those parts stuff might help, or if the problem is best solved by other means.

The sound design overall is good, with occasional exception I think will be swapped for vocals. But not all of them. There's that one mono creaking synth in the intro and ending (cool but doesn't fit, might be better if stereo spread). There's the backing to voice clips. And there's the snare, though by now I'm not finding nearly as distracting. And there's some mixing things that could be better, but it's difficult to pinpoint those with the placeholder saw in stead of the final vocals there. I can tell you the lead melody in the last chorus part is too loud. But I'd want to hear the vocals in there before going after any other parts.

Source is handled creatively, and is dominant.

It has issues, some bigger than others. It's pretty cool, and I really want to hear this with vocals. But as it's not yet ready for ocr, placeholder saw and all, I'll tell you it's not yet ready for ocr. 

• 1 month later...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6bkS4fS5FJtWmlib1Z0NFNtQmc

Most current version as of yesterday

still working somethings out but i have vocals now thanks to Naru!

dubstep build up is going to change 

i tweaked some of the eg setting so the snare wont stick out so bad and to balance the vocals

The section after the synth solo is getting redone once i get updated vocals from Naru

• 1 month later...

Wow, we've let this one go way too long without an evaluation! Sorry about that!

Anyway, here goes:

EVAL:

Arrangement:

The vox are.... well, they're cheesy as hell, but they were cheesy in the original, so I can't really fault them for it.

The soundscape feels a bit too sparse for most of the mix. The lead synth is a bit too harsh to be used as extensively as you are without anything else going on. IMO, a sound that harsh can work fine in short bits, but gets tiring when it continues as long as this one does. The choppy section starting at 1:15 is kind of cool, but still a bit too sparse and a bit too reliant on the synth I mentioned earlier; it would work fine if that harsh synth hadn't had so much presence earlier in the mix, but by this point my ears already feel tired from it. Percussion needs more variation.

The vox at 2:16 hit (and sustain) a wrong note, or perhaps they're off-key, or something I'm not sure what but that sustained note sounds way off. This whole vocal sections sounds out of key, but that one note is particularly jarring. Having a vocal line this exposed is a bold move and can be cool when pulled off successfully; but here it is not pulled off successfully, and the vocal performance just isn't of a quality that can stand this exposed in a mix, I'm sorry to say. Even later in the mix, when the vox are less exposed, I'm still hearing some jarring wrong notes.

I love the synth line starting at 3:53

Production:

The whole mix feels overcompressed, and too heavy in the high end, with not enough going on in the low end. The drums especially sound thin and mechanical.

The verdict: not sub-ready. The synth tones and mastering are too harsh and tiring to the ears, there are too many wrong notes in the vocals, and the mix is too sparse in the mid and low range.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...