OCR03676 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog "Springtime Smoothness"

Gario

This is pretty sick, playing is casual and fun, the arrangement is on point. The ONLY problem I have is the hard panning on the instruments. It definitely sounds a little weird on headphones due to it. I'm cool with giving this a pass, but it might be worth to go conditional to see if we can soften that up a bit. Let's see what the other J's think.

YES (conditional on panning?)

DA's right that the panning's too wide. I'm also a headphone-based judge, and the panning's a dealbreaker, particularly with the lead brass. We'll see if Leandro can center things a little more. Otherwise, in full agreement with Deia that this was a solid arrangement. I just voted on Abreu Project's "Chrome Gadget" mix and it ticks all the boxes of their style, i.e. a more cover-ish start, followed by nice comping and original part-writing integrated with the source tune that explores the theme's potential some more. Always love their style!

YES (conditional)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/06/29 - (2C) Sonic the Hedgehog "Spring Yard Zone"

The panning was certainly a bit wide, but nothing was 100% to either side.  To me it sounded naturalistic, as if the instrumentalists were in a physical space on opposite sides of a stage.  Nowhere near as distracting as the ping-pong panning one often hears on Hammond synths, for instance.

Otherwise, this is a nice arrangement.  Conservative on the face of it, but with accompaniment that riffs on the theme in interesting ways, and the trade-offs between the lead instruments also help keep it engaging.  Some of the brass work sounded a little flat, but I don't think it's enough to hold this back.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Great arrangement, well produced and all sorts of awesome. I'm leaning toward MindWanderer in calling this a more naturalistic approach, but I do hear DA and LT's concerns. I wouldn't call it too extreme of panning, though; it'd be more accurate to say that the right side has more going on than the left side, which is pretty distracting. The guitar that's supposed to act as the counterbalance isn't as active as the brass is, so it doesn't successfully counterbalance what the brass is doing to leave a balanced feel.

I would be alright if this passed as is (so it's non-conditional for me), but if this gets sent back as a conditional fix I could see it being fixed as easily as having the brass panning envelope by 5-6 points to satisfy the other judges. Nice work overall, I like it.

YES

Man this is fantastic, but that panning can get a bit disconcerting on headphones, specially since the trumpets, which carry a lot of power, are hard panned to the right so it makes the mix sound a bit lopsided outside of the fuller sections.  

Other than that, great riffing on the original motifs, and production is clean.  If we can get it back as to make the panning not so extreme, I will be 100% behind this. (also needs a title)

YES (conditional)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/06/29 - (2Y/3C) Sonic the Hedgehog "Spring Yard Zone"
  • 3 weeks later...

This does sound right heavy. I feel the piano/rhodes and guitar should share the L/R panning here while the brass should be centred up front as it performs the main lead duties. You don't deviate too greatly from the original (especially earlier in the track), although the break around 2:30 is great, and in general there's lots of nice flourishes and licks throughout the mix to add that original flavour. Performances are tight, but human. As with the others, I think if the panning were adjusted to balance the mix, you're a yes.

YES (Conditional on panning adjustment)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03676 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog "Springtime Smoothness"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer locked this topic