OCRA-0008 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Project Chaos

SnappleMan

I am downloading the iTunes fix from this thread - I hope it works...I tryed changing the start time manually and it didn't work...

It is really annoying and if I wasn't the sort of person who wanted to help people fix there problems I wouldn't of been here posting about this (got knows how many people have this problem who are not on OCR.)

So many great songs in this project. My favourites are:

Walk on water: I was suprised to hear this done in a rock style, but it was excellently done!

Three Ring Nightfall: Took the source to a whole new place, gave it a real action feel, not many would have gone for something so bold. Love it.

Robotnik Radio: full of jazzy groove.

I thought Hecenus' piano performances were amazing, hope to hear more of his stuff in the future. Shame about those WIPS not being finished, especially Hydrochill.

Overall, I love this. Great work guys. :D

I am downloading the iTunes fix from this thread - I hope it works...I tryed changing the start time manually and it didn't work...

It is really annoying and if I wasn't the sort of person who wanted to help people fix there problems I wouldn't of been here posting about this (got knows how many people have this problem who are not on OCR.)

As someone already mentioned in this thread, just open up the songs in GoldWave and re-save them. They will work then (I've iTunes and have done this, so it does work).

Love the project, real bang-up job.

But can someone explain to me what the hell happens in the second half of Doomsday? It's like the tune changes completely, to something I don't recognize...

Well, the second half is roughly based on the original theme. Considering the first half of the song is a note for note cover of the original, I wanted to do something slightly different for the second half. That way you get a faithful arrangement of the song, and something different to enjoy once it's over :)

Love the project, real bang-up job.

But can someone explain to me what the hell happens in the second half of Doomsday? It's like the tune changes completely, to something I don't recognize...

Well, the second half is roughly based on the original theme. Considering the first half of the song is a note for note cover of the original, I wanted to do something slightly different for the second half. That way you get a faithful arrangement of the song, and something different to enjoy once it's over :)

Well, I guess I'll have to listen to it again, knowing that it really is still Doomsday.

Once again, incredible job. My neck hurts from headbanging to BrainCell's tracks and your tracks, and I loves it tbqh.

Kanjika, I owe you an apology - after listening to The Secluded Stronghold in a quiet environment, I can conclude it's every bit as awesome as Breathtaking View.

Which means, everything you submitted for this project was made of awesome, and you join a select group of mixers in my opinion which includes the likes of Jarad Hudson, goat and SnappleMan. I am sincerely looking forward to any mixes you submit in the future.

wow...

Oh yeah goin back through and listening to more of the tracks, hadyn's 'three ring nightfall.' Friggin awesome! That really sick backdrop thats comes in the intro and is then embelished later on sounds just like the intro to Dirty Diana by some dude named Michael Jackson. Even though is it's obviously Lava Reef Zone.

I especially hate the ones where the only similarity between the remix and the original is 3 notes every X amount of seconds.
Congrats, you just summed up 99% of ocremix.

Then again, the sonic-cult forums were never the high-point of the internet. :lol:

LOL

What I find interesting is that at first everyone there is like, "no way am i wasting my time it will suck" but then, as people start actually listening to Project Chaos, the overall opinion seems to change gradually... :lol:

Larry (and everyone else who replied after him), those posts are from August. They must be merely based on the teaser site. :P

Though yeah, I don't get why they hated OCR so much. If they want the original soundtrack they can just listen to the original soundtrack. What we have here is 35 different interpretations of some classic Sonic music, and there's no way we'll change that to be as really conservative and unpassable as they want them to be, right?

Though yeah, I don't get why they hated OCR so much.

It's quite simple. In their minds, all we're doing is changing perfectly good music. Arranged videogame music is a terribly niche thing, and we really have no right to complain when billions of people will just not "get" it. Our little circle expands every day but there will always be people who don't understand what we do. And this being the internet, well duh, the loud ignoramuses are the ones that type the most [hay wait a sec LoL].

Videogame music is already quite a specific taste, but OCR is getting even more explicit. Tons of people love VG tunes and hold them in high regard, so the opinion that we are essentially ruining their childhood with an improvised solo, new drum beat, "shitty techno," etc. is a popular one that we can... ignore, for the most part. Seriously, who gives a shit? :) It's funny to read, though.

This same topic comes up during every major project release, or a thread on some other forum that ends up being about OCR or VGMix.

I'm aware of the thought of their "childhood" being ass-wiped, for lack of better terminology at this time of day. That's why I said if they want to hear the original soundtrack, they can grab the original soundtrack.

I do bear the thought that they might have wanted covers though. While there's usually nothing wrong with that (read: xoc), I seem to find the appeal a little limiting and sound better with the original sound chip they originated from. On top of that, I wouldn't go as far as calling that method complete poppycock without reasons to back it up, so people doing that to OCR seems to make things feel uncomfortable. But there's possibly no point in arguing as it's other peoples' opinions at the end of the day.

Scott, I much appreciate your "essay" on this (LoL~!!). Though I wonder what other people have to say about that, I'd just finish up with a simple "thankyou very much" ;)

What I don't get is that everyday there are people making fanfics, fanarts, fangames, and everything with the word "fan" attached to it, and most of the time they are praised even if it's only for the amount of work needed to create them, but then, there's an album like Project Chaos, and some people is like: "oh no, something different from the original, it's pointless and/or crap".

Is it really that different? Or does people think ReMixes are pulled out of the ass and require no effort?

(sorry about my bad english :( )

I agree. I can admit to be someone who does fanart (though more regular than the usual) and fanfiction (haven't written any since march last year tho). And when I do, I sometimes like to mess around with the original concepts, yet go for something as artistic as done on the project.

From what I've witnessed on various fanart/fanfiction web pages, people seem to mainly praise even the most off-character fanfics (mostly yaoi fics... ouch) and have crushes on certain videogame characters expressed in artwork, yet thinking that videogame music should be left alone is a confusing thing to put through.

I don't want to be the person to say that in front of anyone, but someone should. It should be a point worth taking into consideration.

I agree with Rexy. Why should recomposing music from a game be any different than an artist or writer giving their own unique "spin" on things? Because in essence, it's the same bloody thing.

I mean, this project was done *by Sonic fans*, which means they have a deep appreciation for the game and the music itself, as much as any other Sonic fan would and moreso. Nobody here is arguing that the orginal tunes need to be revamped...we all know nothing can beat the originals. It's just a form of creative expression...same as anything else. Would it sound better to them if it was renamed "FanMusic" instead of "Remix", so as not to overwhelm their egos?