Chrono Cross - Another Termina - Acoustic Arrange.

Hi, folks. I actually shared some earlier attempts of this track more than a year ago here. I haven't changed too much since the conclusion of that thread, but thought I'd share the final track. I had to rush filming the video, so there are some minor mistakes hidden in there. I've also learned a lot about the instruments since recording the audio, especially the pennywhistle, and regret some of the flat playing and technique. That all being said, any thoughts or criticisms are welcome; I'm done with this track, but always looking to improve my awful production. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it.

Hey,

First of all, nice outfit! hahaha

IN OVERALL

I think that the rearrangament is nice,. It changes the original song to a more of a village, countryside vibe. When I listen to the original I see a more water-theme vibe, don't know why.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- I think there's a balance between respecting the original song and some new ideas you add. There's a balance in being conservative and liberal. That's cool.

- I like a lot the shout at 0:44

- When you are submitting a song to ocremix they say this: ''We strongly recommend submissions between 2 and 7 minutes in length.'' Your arrangament is 1:24, so be aware of it.

PRODUCION

- While I think the majority of the instruments sound quite well recorded I think that your production values can get better. It's like the overall audio production on this track lacks character and uniqueness (You will get it the more you practice, listen and analyze more music. Have patience ;)). When I listen to the original there's something unique in it regarding the audio production, it's like an atmosphere that the composer/producer puts you in (and during all the OST)

- The harmonium (I'm not sure if that's the correct name for the instrument, it enters at 0:10) and the guitar at 0:44 sound too roomy. If you fix that and also you can play a bagpipe virtual instrument (or other similar virtual instrument) along the harmonium it will get better YMO. The thing here is to make more consistent the sound of the main melody, if you work the sound by layers it will get better.

PERFORMANCE

- Nice!

- I think that the harmonium lacks dynamics.

STRUCTURE

- It's coherent, I don't have a problem with that

Keep up the good work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! I have a few questions and comments. :-)

On 7/10/2017 at 8:34 AM, Albert Fernandez said:

First of all, nice outfit!

Ha ha, thanks. I'm actually a Scottish country dancer and also play folk tunes from time to time. The source material definitely seems to have some Celtic influence, so I figured the garb was appropriate.

The harmonium (I'm not sure if that's the correct name for the instrument, it enters at 0:10) and the guitar at 0:44 sound too roomy.

By roomy, do you mean that it sounds as if the listener is hearing them in a small room (reflections, etc.) or that they reach into too much of the frequency spectrum? Getting a good sense for EQ and filters has been quite a challenge! (The wind instrument with the keys is a melodica, by the way.)

The thing here is to make more consistent the sound of the main melody...

Agreed. As the melody moves from instrument to instrument, I think the character of the mix changes too much. I'll need to work on that.