OCR03749 - *YES* Tekken 7 "The Old Man and the Devil"

DragonAvenger

Remixer: Ivan Hakštok
Games arranged: Tekken 7
Name of arrangement: The Old Man and the Devil
Names of songs arranged: Heat Haze Shadow
Composers: Akitaka Tohyama (composer of this song), Taku Inoue, Rio Hamamoto, Nobuyoshi Sano, Keiichi Okabe
Links to the original soundtrack (there are 3 versions of the song in game):

Heat Haze Shadow might be better known as the song used in the Tekken 7 trailer. I liked it back when that trailer was released, but after hearing it in the context of the game, I was blown away. I knew I had to cover it somehow, and only two days after the game was out I ended up with this remix. :)

My remix is a metal (power metal?) rendition of the original dnb tune. Since the source is so damn great, I stayed pretty close to it other than the genre shift and a guitar solo, but I don't think that's a dealbreaker.

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Great energy, and despite the volume of things going on everything sounds pretty clear to me. I think there is potential that this might be a DP, but I'd like to get another J opinion first. My one real qualm is the repetitiveness of the structure of the track, but that is present in the original, so I'm not really finding fault there. Solos are tasteful and energetic, they fit the source really well and don't overstep their bounds. 

There's one synth near the end that has what I assume is the lead, but it's nearly fully buried in the track. I didn't hear it until my second time through. Might be worth getting a fix on that, but even if the track went up as-is I think it would be fine. 

Nice work, great energy!

YES

It's less repetitive than the source, with some very nice solos added in that don't detract at all from being faithful to it.  I can hardly imagine this adaptation being done better, except that synth Deia correctly pointed out (starting at 3:06).  Otherwise, this gets my very enthusiastic thumbs up.

YES

Great metal take on the original here (holy cow the OST has a lot of energy too).  Clever adaptation of the bass synth into the guitar riff.  Expansive yet well connected.

Overall, production is clear throughout.  I'll say the genre isn't really my forte, but I had a few minor gut issues with production I should mention.  Kick tone felt a bit thin & lacking in low presence.  I get you're trying to get out of the way of other things like bass & guitars, but I felt it was perhaps gutted a bit too much.  Drums also were spread pretty far out in the soundfield with panning and spacing, though I can chalk that up to a stylistic decision as I've heard it done before - I just found it a bit distracting as it sorta sounds like the various kit pieces are coming from different directions.

Anyway, moving beyond my nitpicks, this is a great track.  Good stuff.

YES

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/06/04 - (3Y) Tekken 7 'The Old Man and the Devil'
  • 3 weeks later...

Love the combination of synths and galloping guitar chugs here.  The neck-breaking speed adds a lot of energy to the arrangement.  Great way to introduce the solo around the 2 minute mark, and great, clean performance.  Even though the song has a lot of energy you knew how to manage it very well, with interspersed changes in pace and little breakdowns.  Production is clean and any objections I would have on this aspect are pretty minor.  Super good, fun and energetic stuff.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03749 - *YES* Tekken 7 "The Old Man and the Devil"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic