DragonAvenger

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262

Game(s): Skyrim
Song Title: Legends Around the Fire
Songs Remixed: Around the Fire, Dragonborn
Comments: This is an excerpt from a medley, actually!  But I also made this as a standalone track!  If anyone wants to hear the whole medley, here's a link: 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/07/06 - Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim 'Legends Around the Fire'
  • 2 weeks later...

This is quite enjoyable! The arrangement of both of the sources is lovely, and the instrumentation works pretty well for the soundscape. My only real gripe with the track is when the chorus first comes in the attacks feel slow and behind the beat compared to the other instruments. Similarly, the rising choir line at 2:58 sounds a little off, but it sounds better at 3:02. Somewhat similar a few seconds later, though not as bad as the first time.

Sounds aren't completely amazing but I think they get the job done well here. Plenty of energy here, and the expansion on the themes are great. I think the nitpicks are not nearly enough to bring this below the bar. 

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the slow attack on the choruses does stand out, and the samples, especially the brass, could be better, but I think it's good enough.  The arrangement of the sources is clever and engaging, overall a nice job of breathing some life into an overused leitmotif.  A solid addition to the Tripp collection.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that the attack of instruments is often a criticism I have to raise in Ms Tripp's tracks, and this is another case where some more work could've been done in that area.  The flute near the start sounds pretty mechanical at places, and same with some of the choral parts.  Chants like these are very hard to get to sound convincing, and even though it's not great I think it's solid enough, helped by the fantastic arrangement.  This isn't as bombastic as the great majority of the arrangements for the song of the dragonborn, but it has it's own charm.  It's less of a Hollywood epic, and more of a strong, celtic flavored arrangement.  The use of drums is subtle and effective (with exception of the marimba, which does sound a bit upfront)

Overall, this is solid, with some imperfections, but very enjoyable and with its own distinctive approach to a very familiar song.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/07/06 - (3Y) Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim 'Legends Around the Fire'
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03712 - *YES* Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim "Legends Around the Fire"
  • Liontamer locked this topic