OCR03640 - *YES* Ecco: Tides of Time (GEN) "Geofractura"

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Ecco: The Tides of Time 
  • Name of arrangement: Geofractura
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Fault Zone"
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. It was a very challenging song to remix, because of the nature of the original OST and my style are not too close, but it has "ThePlasmas" style on it, keeping the main melody recognizable.

------------------

Mauricio says that he had a hard time fitting this into his style, but I'm going to disagree there. This has a ton of determination, and the energy is solid throughout. Solid guitars, great rhythm section, the arrangement is solid. There are a couple of sections that sound a little muddy on headphones, but I didn't find them to be a dealbreaker and they aren't as much of an issue on speakers.

YES

Yeah, you'd never guess the composing artist had any trouble with this one.  Really solid arrangement, and of course the performance is excellent.

I do have some crits.  I could do without the hard-panned rhythm guitar from 0:12-0:19.  The lead synth created conflict more often than not, and 1:39-2:08, with that synth plus the lead guitar, was more than just a little muddy.  The piano and orchestral elements were buried substantially almost everywhere they appeared, to the point of being nearly inaudible in most cases.  While I love orchestral elements in rock personally, they were so far back that they essentially became mud and white noise in all but the quietest sections--even the acoustic sections squashed them quite a bit.

None of that is enough to keep us from posting this, though, IMO.  I wouldn't mind if this got sent back to get cleaned up a little, and I would love to hear an improved version of this, but I think it's more than good enough as it stands.

YES

In light of the strong arrangement and performance, the clutter in this track wasn't a dealbreaker, but it was a negative for sure (e.g. 1:38-2:08). The timing of the rock from 2:31-2:34 sounded slightly off, but it was brief. Some of the thumps on the acoustic sounded like they were distorted and too close to the mic, but that also wasn't a big deal.

That said, I loved the piece, and this was a dense, rocked out treatment of one of the best themes from the Genesis version of this soundtrack.

It's been a long time since I heard of Mauricio self-project of ThePlasmas "band", and Nitro Game Injection's KyleJCrb has been a great advocate of his and really put him on my radar as he developed into a stronger performer. It's awesome to finally have you on board with an official OC ReMix! Definitely send in some more of your work, Mauricio, and welcome aboard. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/07/06 - (3Y) Ecco: Tides of Time 'Geofractura'
  • 3 weeks later...

Solid track, right here. The ethereal source translated will to some heavy, chuggin' metal. Enjoyed it quite a bit throughout. It's a bit cluttered at the timestamps mentioned by the others, and the mixing in the first half of the piece de-emphasizes the lead a bit too much for my tastes. Larry made a great point on the rhythm chugs hitting slightly off-beat for a few seconds in the track, too (at 2:31-2:34). The the positives far exceed the negatives, though - this is definitely something that should be put up on our front page. Great work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/07/06 - *YES - TAG* Ecco: Tides of Time 'Geofractura'
  • Liontamer locked this topic