OCR01527 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Walk on Water"

djpretzel

Well, not much of a review but still, it's a 'grate' remix. It starts out to be layd-back and then suddenly it rages up into this wonderful climax, and i love it. It's superb actually .. GO HTG!

Also this is my second favorite track of the STH3 OST: The Icecap theme, ofcourse, is unbeatable.

! Good choise, nice work and great result. The guitars are played well too :)

Wow, I haven't heard any other song from Project Chaos yet, but I definitely will now. Especially if the other songs are even a fraction of what this was. Man, that breakdown was really badass. The drums sounded kind of off. A bit too electronic, in my opinion. But it was a very minor detraction overall.

I save every housethegrate song.

:D You like Earth Wind and Fire? Well you got the whole groove into the song and it sound like Jazz Pop or Jazz + R&B feeling. Well if you use the lead trumpet in the chorus that would be nice. Yeah ask Philip Bailey (fame of EWF) to write the song :) that's mean it's great for commercial market.

For the Second part of Undercity, LATIN JAZZ..... hell yeah that bring me hype! sound like Evil Way, Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen and Samba Pa Ti (all by Carlos Santana). A fast tempo of Jazz/Blues/Latin song :twisted:. A whole review: Send this to the Jazz radio station, they will be please if they hear it!

this kicks HEAVY amounts of ass. HEAVY. I fucking love this to death. Thank you.

Totally agreed. This is my favorite track on the album, and when I came to OCR today and waited a second for the most recent songs posted to display, I really hoped this would be there. And it was, which is awesome because I think it deserves recognition.

3:02 for the win

Got to love this track. Not only is it one of the very few in this project that consistantly stays somewhere near recognisable throughout, it is about the only one that has both the Act 1 and Act 2 themes.

Excellent!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Really love how the leisurely pace of Act 1 and quick tempo pace Act 2 are put together here.

This is incredible. I was a bit iffy on trying out the new Sonic remixes (as those projects can be very hit or miss) but when I saw housethegrate, who is one of the most consistently good remixers out there, was doing the mix for my favorite S3 level I had to try it out. It stays pretty close to the original theme but don't mistake this for a bad thing. I think trying to rearrange the notes of something as intricate as Hydrocity would end up with either a forgettable mix or one that you could never tell was Hydrocity.

I really loved this one.

Stages of me listening to this song:

Beginning - "Hmm, nice drums"

0:10 - "'Kay, nice guitar"

0:30 - "Okay, nothing special here."

1:07 - "Yeah, pretty much standard"

1:45 - "More of the same."

2:20 - "Is this going anywhere?"

2:40 - "Wait, what's that?!?"

3:03 - "HOLY FUCKING CRAP, THIS IS AMAZING!!!"

So yeah, there you have it. Latin Jazz? Hell yeah. Nice work housethegrate, keep them remixes coming.

• 2 weeks later...

The comparison to Fool in the Rain didn't even occur to me but it's an excellent observation. Listening to it again makes it very obvious, all it needs is that whistle.

Led Zeppelin being my all-time favorite group, the fact that I can compare a Sonic 3 remix to it is an incredible feat. This may be my favorite track on Project Chaos. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

'Walk on Water' is my favourite track off the Chaos Project.

Right from where the Santana-ified thick, smooth guitar lead comes in with heavy vibrato, through the pentatonic flurry from 1:20 to 1:25, the Latin-based interludes, 'til the end. I love the way the whole piece sounds so full, with the comping guitars (the way they were panned continuously left and right), horns, keyboards and all; Interestingly, the song never acquires a messy trait, and everything pierces through and balances out nicely.

Two personal notes: 1) that palm-muted version of the melody from 4:12 to 4:14 was an excellent touch, if I may say so myself; I love it when people switch to the bridge-pickup sound at the right time; and 2) immediately after 0:49 the guitar sounded slightly out of tune, or is it just me?

I've burned and passed this song around, and most people can't believe it's based off a video game; more so Sonic. On the other hand, my old-school gamer friends all salute you, housethegrate.

Keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with several of the posters. This was the best track to come out of the project. Period. It faithfully kept the spirit of Hydrocity while doing its own thing. At 2:42 was where I knew I liked this song, and just after the 3:00 mark, it was cemented.

I really love the vibe of the song. I can't express that enough. I would highly recommend this track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01527 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Walk on Water"