• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

One of the first mixes I remember really sticking out, this has a great peaceful feeling, and sounds like an ending theme.

It is a bit repetative, but it is simply fantastic to groove on, and though the variation is subtle, the music is catchy enough to carry it, and the rhythms blend together well.

A bit simplistic, but a fun mix.

• 1 year later...

Even with the subtle variations, this mix is too repetative. A change of the chords and some bigger moves on the melody would make a world of difference.

The sounds used here are appropriate, and cute. They work well to bring up a 'turtle in sewers' image to my head (I am unfamiliar with the source, so this will have to do).

Overall, I start spacing out after a while, but the mix is cute and fun.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Toning down the repetitive nature a touch would have improved this one a lot. I'm not salivating over those samples either, but they do their job well enough. The structure and arrangement are a little too raw for my tastes; there seems to be many openings for expansion that were left bare. More branching would have done a great job in distracting the ear from the straining backbone that we hear much too often.

It doesn't sound much removed from actual videogame music, but there are some redeeming features to it. For all its design flaws, it does hearken back to the days of fun mixes, where the was no pressure to be a technical wizard or a significant conceptualist among the mixing community. This is barebones and insignificant, but it's got an acquired charm. Big fans of pre-judging panel OCR should be all over this.

• 6 months later...

Lead: solid with a chewy after-effect.

Second synth: springy complement to the lead, taking over when it feels needed.

Hi-hat: tittering, and even sounds bolder and deeper at times.

Kick: beefy.

Synth textures: shimmering.

Break at 1:13: much obliging.

The collective energy spicing up Professor T. Bird's cutscene music: priceless. :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00292 - Battletoads (GB) "Bird Guy Jam"