OCR03723 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons "Seeds in the Frost"

Gario

Mostly this is up to Rebecca's usual high standards, although the panpipes aren't quite as crisp as the rest of the instruments and don't sound like they're in the same space.

I do have one significant concern: repetitiveness.  The source is quite short, and it's easy to tell from the remix.  Each loop is orchestrated differently every time it repeats, and there's a fair amount of riffing and original content between the loops to make them not feel too egregious, but they're still there.  And it doesn't help that the source consists of two variants of the same pattern, so each time it's looped in the remix, it sounds a lot like two repetitions instead of one.  I hear four loops in this arrangement (which is already a lot), but it feels like more because that 4-note scale is used so many times.

I think this one is close, but I think that if I hadn't been listening to this so many times for the purpose of judging it, the repetitiveness of it wouldn't be quite so noticeable.  I'll be interested to see what other judges think, and I may change my mind, but for now I'm coming down on the side of

YES

• 1 month later...

Arrangement-wise this is was a very good effort from Ms. Tripp's.  It's not very easy to make a full song out of such a short melody,  and it shows she really tried not make the remix feel overly loopy, as every repetition is different from the one that came before, there's a lot of layering of instruments and melodies and the theme is expanded upon mid-way through.

I do think that the expansion over the original could've been more extensive to make up for the short duration of the melody.  By the end it did feel like the arrangement was starting to spread itself too thin, but thankfully it ended before it truly became an issue for me.  Regarding the production, it seemed ok, with the woodwinds sounding a bit unrealistic at some spots, and overall, I don't think this is Tripp's strongest offering yet, but I don't see that many issues to keep it away from the frontpage.  It is a close call however, as it just edges above the bar for me.

YES (Borderline)   

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/07/20 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 'Seeds in the Frost'

Sounds like the votes on here so far catch the majority of what I'd say, so I'll be glib: the arrangement is alright considering the source, but the fact that it's such a short source being repeated four times as the structure does wear on the track a bit. The variations made on it is notable so it's not an unbearable flaw, but the structure could've been handled in a way to better mitigate this issue.

The orchestration is quite good, and the production is up to your normally high standards, so it's still a clean pass from me. Nice work.

YES

• 2 months later...

Not much to add here that hasn't been already said. The track definitely suffers from repetition but there's some solid work to make things different each time through. I do think the humanization overall feels a little stiff and this could benefit with some stronger dynamic contrast, but I'm totally good to give it a pass as is.

YES.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03723 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons "Seeds in the Frost"
  • Liontamer locked this topic