OCR03669 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 "Snowy Pines"

Gario

While the production is even better than Rebecca's usual, this is quite a conservative arrangement.  1:35-3:27 is basically a sound upgrade, and that's nearly a third of the total arrangement, as well as being the centerpiece of the whole thing.

However, the other 2/3 of the remix is pretty darn good, with even the more conservative takes on the source adding in creative accompaniment (although the iconic snare does get old).  I'm a bit on the fence about it, but since the majority of the arrangement is creatively interpretive, I think it can fly as a whole.  It won't be for anyone looking for something new and different, but similarity to existing arrangements isn't one of our decision criteria.

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I agree with MindWanderer that while this was melodically conservative (too much in places), the overall approach was interpretive enough. In adapting this to orchestral, Rebecca included a lot of subtle original part-writing and grace notes. I would have liked 1:35-3:27 to stand apart from the original more, including some of the supporting part-writing also being close, but the additive parts within genre adaptation did provide some differences to let this still feel subtly militaristic but less like a march. The final 2 minutes definitely saved it and pulled this back from the concerns that the overall presentation wasn't interpretive enough. Keep doing your thing!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/19 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 6 'Snowy Pines'

Not much to add to what's been said.  Beautiful and emotive writing.  I do wish there was more to the middle third of the track, arrangement wise, because let's face it - Terra's been done to death.  Still, the presentation is nice and well fleshed out.

Production wise, I agree Rebecca's been upping her game of late.  Kudos for that.

Being nitpicky:

-the 1:00-1:15 section sounded like the timing was off between glock and other instruments, though I suspect it was intentional.  It just sounds like a mistake, rather than intentional delay.

-The cymbal crashes sound a bit dry/centered/up front for normally being situated behind the orchestra.  The sample's not the greatest either (dull tone and same-y for various velocity levels) and it plays a lot in the last minute or so of the track.  Can't unhear it now ;).

Overall, solid stuff.

YEPS

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/08/19 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 6 'Snowy Pines'

Wha'cha all talkin' about? Having something that's conservative sandwiched between two rather cleverly arranged portions is a pretty cool way to organize an arrangement, in my book. It's not like the middle portion doesn't have it's share of orchestral flourishes to make it into something that stands on its own two feet, even - it's just a conservative portion between two more interesting sections.

Nice use of the Harpsichord to imitate the SNES sample almost perfectly, by the way; for a second there when I heard it come in at 1:35 I was afraid I was going to have to turn this down due to sampling Square Enix audio, lol. As far as the overall quality of the arrangement goes, it's a few steps above the normal fare. The humanization is quite good in this; the only issue I could have is with the lead string instruments, whenever they come in. There's a swelling attack that consistently undercuts the phrasing, which becomes pronounced whenever they hold the theme (such as at 4:13). Aside from this, the production and quality of this is solid.

Loving what you did with the meter (using 3/4 instead of 4/4) in the opening minute and a half. It's a clever way to get something fresh on an overly arranged source. With themes using a lot of space between phrases it's a useful way to transform an arrangement. Utilizing this technique again at 4:14 (going from 4/4 to 12/16) is a nice way to bookend the whole thing.

Yeah, this is great stuff.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/08/19) *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 6 'Snowy Pines'
  • Liontamer locked this topic