OCR03859 - *YES* Legend of Zelda & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Destined"

Gario

Hello!

I’d like to submit a compositions for acceptance to OCRemix.  I am a current remixer with two tracks already accepted.
Remixer Name: LindsayAnne Pepper

Submission #1: Destined- a Legend of Zelda arrangement

While I understand this is on the long end of many submissions, I hope that you will please consider it.  Throughout the Legend of Zelda series history, the main story line is “princess Zelda gets captured, Link goes on a quest to defeat the evil and save her.” Many times throughout the games, a romantic connection is hinted at but never determined.  In Skyward Sword, this was especially noteworthy.  This symphonic composition was written as a romantic expression of what could be if the story continued after the credits roll.  Their two themes are explored in various ways, sometimes apart, sometimes together, as well as hidden throughout.  Flute solo parts are performed by myself, and I was lucky to have Brooke Ferdinandsen perform for the oboe parts.  I thought she added beautiful depth and emotion to the piece.  I hope you enjoy!

~LindsayAnne Pepper

Let me start off by saying that this is a really gorgeous, emotive arrangement.  I love what's been done with the orchestration, and the flute and oboe work are indeed superb.

That being said, the other instruments, notably the string and brass ensembles, weren't as great.  The string swells were unvarying, and the brass was overall mechanical in execution.

Also, this seemed source-light, so here's my stopwatch test: 0:03-0:28, 0:40-1:01, 1:53-2:31, 3:02-3:13, 4:27-4:29, 4:56-5:39, 5:58-6:31, 6:49-7:00 = 184/456 seconds = 40.4%.  I may have missed some subtle references here and there, but even subjectively, there were long periods of exposition that didn't seem to reference the source material.

I'm also not a fan of the dynamic range here.  I didn't feel like it was necessarily too quiet at baseline (though it was definitely on the quiet side), but 4:25-5:45 is dramatically louder than the rest, and I couldn't set my volume to a point where I could hear everything else clearly but that section wasn't uncomfortably loud.

Thanks for the submission, I enjoyed the arrangement itself quite a bit, but the ensembles really need to be more humanized, and I don't think there's quite enough source material for what we look for.  I look forward to seeing more from you, though!

NO

Personally, I thought the source was handled absolutely wonderfully - rather than having it be obvious every moment, it instead takes the source's shapes and textures and transforms them into something else (while still being distinctly 'Zelda' and 'Overworld'). The timestamps MindWanderer uses are great for the obvious moments, but I'm hearing source at, for example, 0:28 - 0:35, with that arpeggio reharmonized in the horns, and at 1:05 - 1:35 using the strings to play the Overworld theme completely reharmonized and slowed down. Stopwatching the really subtle stuff is tricky since I'd have to go into a high degree of detail on each part, but this isn't a case where it's even a close case of source usage. It's not only good on that front, that's an area that I've seen few arrangements on OCR match in terms of execution.

However, the concerns on humanization of the instruments are absolutely valid. While the dynamics are well handled and the sample quality is solid, the accents are often mechanical, using the same levels of swell for each note. It's not as noteable when the brass and woodwinds take control of the arrangement, but for the strings it's painfully obvious it's sequenced.

As far as dynamic variety, I think this track hits a sweet spot on it. Orchestral music naturally has these loud and quiet moments, so that really helps drive the realism home on this. This is how you correctly write orchestral music; I don't get to this day people's suggestions to 'correct' this whenever it comes up.

Overall, the humanization is my largest concern, and while that's not a small issue I don't think it drowns the absolutely high quality this arrangement has at every other level: the arrangement, the orchestration, the production, etc., are all superb. I'd much rather see this posted than not - while not perfect, I don't think this is below the bar.

YES

• 3 months later...

I'm with Gario in this one; I can see the criticism of the instruments and their realism but I also agree that the arrangement does a lot of work and allows some forgiveness in that aspect. I definitely think this isn't mixed a as well as your other Zelda's Lullaby mix I just j judged though. Overall this is an expansive arrangement that was really enjoyable to listen to. The dynamics definitely are well done though I did hear one instance of clipping around 5:35. Just something to note.

YES

Humanization is tricky even when strings or woodwinds are used as backing elements.  In this case every instrument is super exposed, and given that situation, I feel like the humanization is more than adequate.  That said, I wish the production had a bit more shine on it, perhaps a bit more eq or instrument positioning or varied reverbs to make the soundstage more 3D, with leads sounding more upfront and backing elements more in the background, and more of a feel of being onstage in a real hall.  The arrangement though, caries it totally.  It is absolutely lovely and so emotive.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/08/21 - (3Y/1N) Legend of Zelda 'Destined'

The strings you have chosen have a nice tone to them, with some nice changes in velocity and dynamics to add in that much needed realism. Although things do still sound sequenced, the immersion factor is still here. Pacing is solid. Subtle articulations and other inclusions were noticed. 

At 2:32 things change a little abruptly and don’t flow like they should. Most other transitions however seem to work ok. The build-up at 4:30 with the brass accompaniment had a good strength to it. The pre-outro build up was equally strong, with a soft conclusion. At 7:08 things seemed to end but repeated themselves again which I found odd. 

The mixing here is decent enough, with parts sitting mostly clean in their own space. No problems there.

I think the overall presentation here is well done with enough unique elements in the arrangement to bring this into its own.

YES

• 2 months later...

Man, I think this is more than fine.  Arrangement is solid, and the sequencing/humanization works for me.  There's adequate pacing to every section and attention to detail.  Instruments get a bit too exposed but I don't think I doubted this being above the bar after it was over.  I liked the arrangement the most, as this is such a popular song that doing something different with it becomes super difficult, but you managed to add your own touch to the arrangement, weaving in original phrasing between the classic lines and I'm totally into that.

I want this on the front page.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03859 - *YES* Legend of Zelda & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Destined"
  • Liontamer locked this topic