OCR03742 - *YES* Super Castlevania 4 "Tema de Simón"

Gario

ReMixer name: Mighty Bear 7
email address: 
user id: 33274

Submission Information

Name of game: Super Castlevania IV
Name of arrangement: Tema de Simón
Name of original piece: Simon's Theme (Dance of the Holy Man) 
Additional information regarding the original piece
  • Composer: Masanori Adachi; Taro Kudo
  • System: SNES
  • Release Date: October 31, 1991

Comments about the mix: 

The idea for this remix came from an arrangement I made for an ensemble that I play in (The Greedy Echoes). The original version combines edgy rock organ and busy drums with hot funky rhythms. The way the composers create momentum by frequently pushing the beat is the same as the style of Songo and can also be heard in other latin styles. I attempted to make an arrangement that brought the feel of the piece back to it's possible origin, and what may have inspired the original composers. 

Arranged/Mixed/Produced by David Bergeron (Mighty Bear 7)
Trumpet by Austin DiPietro
Saxophone by Theodore Hogan
Violin by Stu Kennedy
Bass by Martin Schiller

Haha... What is this, and why haven't I heard a version of this source like this before? It's perfect.

You nail the style of this one, and the production is solid to boot. The performances are good, too. The drums are pretty clearly sequenced, which is easy to hear against the excellent recordings, but it doesn't take much away from the performance at all.

The arrangement is a hair conservative, but the style is juicy, and the solo elements toward the end more than make up the 'personal interpretation' element for OCR. Love it, let's get this out the door quickly, it's just too good.

YES

I'm pretty sure I have heard this source done in this style before, but I can't place it.

The performance is pretty darn good, and the mixing is OK (the rhythm guitar is buried and the right-panned sax has way too much reverb), but I think the arrangement is the main thing holding this back.  It's extremely conservative despite the genre change, which is driven primarily by the choice of instruments and the percussion.  It's basically a cover up until 2:14, 2/3 of the way through, then 2:31-2:48 is a variant of 0:58-1:15, and 2:49-end is a near-exact repetition of 1:15-1:40.  The amount of original content or interpretation is very slight--a small amount of accompaniment in a couple of sections, some very simple percussion, and the sax solo.

I enjoyed this, but I don't think it's transformative enough for the site.

NO

BTW, uncredited source: 

• 1 month later...

It's melodically conservative, but adds in plenty of personalized Latin spices with this live performance approach. Loved the additive part-writing not found in the original song as well.

MindWanderer mentioned the arrangement being too conservative, but to me the overall presentation stands apart enough from the original song via the genre change and additive writing, which I think he undersold.

The ending at 3:13 was flat, and I would have liked a genuine resolution. Even the fade-out after the final note felt too fast, but that was small potatoes.

Fun energy and nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/08 - (2Y/1N) Super Castlevania IV 'Tema de Simón'
  • 2 months later...

Definitely feeling this! Great store adaption, and I agree with Gario that this seems really natural and unexpected. While a bit conservative melodically I think there's plenty of spice (wink) to make this really unique. Agreed with Larry as well that the ending is both a bit abrupt and that it also isn't a deal breaker here. Great work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/08 - (3Y/1N) Super Castlevania 4 'Tema de Simón'

A very strange intro sequence indeed, leaving us wondering where you’re going to go with this. The first 30 seconds contain some basic percussive and string elements, then we build up to a brass driven version of the main theme. Lots of changes throughout the mix, with various instruments taking turns at leading, as the others riff about. The change of pace at the mid point was short lived but worked well to allow things to build up again. The sax solo in the final third was unexpected. Mixing is clear and separated appropriately. While there could be a bit more compressive glue between the parts, I appreciate that the artist has instead sided with open clean dynamics. Although the source is delivered in a fairly straightforward manner here, there is a good level of variety between sections and instruments used, making the mix feel fresh for the majority of the way through. A solid original take on the original.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/08/08) *YES* Super Castlevania 4 'Tema de Simón'
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic