OCR03763 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker & ALttP "Windborne"

DragonAvenger

This new Zelda is amazing. And I don't use that word lightly. Without a WiiU of my own, I've been playing it whenever I visit my parents and brother, so more accurately I've been visiting my brother's WiiU.

Windborne, because glider, and Rito, and stuff.

sources:
zbotw - main theme
zww/zbotw - dragon roost island / rito village
zww - the legendary hero
zbotw - link's memories

Not sure if the main theme counts as a valid source, since I don't know if the track as such appears in the game itself. Haven't beaten the game yet. I've been exploring. Elements of it appear in other tracks, and the whole thing is apparently included in the credits track. In any case, it contains some of the coolest Zelda melodies in a long time. So I used those.

The WW sources should be obvious. Link's memories is used in the intro. There's a few bits from field, often in the background, but I wouldn't list that.

Don't tell Larry about the references to the alttp dark world, or he'll want to list those too.

This remix has been one of the biggest production headaches I've had. Random pops and stuff in the bass (probably; hopefully I solved that), too many compressors, ill-fitting leads, random loud notes in midi and audio, loud resonances in eq automation, lots of small annoying things. I've become enough of a perfectionist to watch to polish, polish, spume, polish, until it's as perfect as I can get it. Not cost-effective in regards to time spent.

I need to work on my perfectionism. I can be better than this.

-rozo
-----------------------------

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/10 - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild & The Wind Waker 'Windborne'
  • 1 month later...

Nice medley, flowing well between the various sources--and I come down hard on medleys.  The LttP Dark World bit is easy to miss and isn't critical, I wouldn't worry about it.

The choices of instruments are a little odd.  The clean piano (starting at 3:00) and generic saws don't really go with the rest of the soundscape, which is almost ethereal.  It's more a matter of taste than an objective criticism, though.  The later saw (4:13-5:20) does have some frequency conflict with some of the backing synths, but you can still hear them.

Otherwise, I don't have any major criticisms.  It's fun and I'm sure folks will love it.

YES

• 2 months later...

I do agree that the piano feels a little out of place compared to the rest of the track. The clean feel there compared to the more wet sections around it make it feel a bit lacking. That being said I agree with MW that it is more personal taste than a criticism. The meekly overall well-constructed with parts fitting together well and flowing nicely. Great transitions between the themes for sure.

Source choices are natural and the instruments aside from the piano in the middle fit nicely together. Digging this overall.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The kick feels pretty heavy/punchy for this instrumentation, especially when it's exposed like at 0:51 and 3:38.  The instrumentation is somewhat odd, especially the two leads, but the overall effect is completely unique.  The lead in the final passage is very vanilla and dry.  The breakdown is almost too bare. The arrangement is great, though, and I am enjoying it.  I especially like the kettle drums.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/08/10 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild & The Wind Waker 'Windborne'
  • 1 month later...

I was pretty meh on the blocky-sounding piano that opened things up; it was brief, but sounded very unrealistic. Having it come back at 3:00 was unfortunate too; for your future tracks, try to make the piano sound more humanized.

Nice beat at :17, and I'm really digging the transformative take on the BotW main theme. The synth timing at 4:12 also felt too blocky, and the synth could have used some more creative processing, because I felt like it was pretty lonely sounding and droned some, but we'll live. Smaller crits aside, really strong arrangement, Ad!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/08/10) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker & ALttP "Windborne"
  • Liontamer locked this topic