Need some help getting a "full sound"

TSori

Hey all, 

I've hit a road block on a song I've been working on and could use some help.    I'm very new to music production, so i'm still figuring it out.   I've put together a pretty basic pop song.  

The issue is mainly the electronic part that starts the song and plays in the background throughout.  It seems "Thin" and "empty " to me, and I cannot figure out what to do to get a more full sound.  

The other parts, Bass, trumpet, and violin will be recorded live.  The piano is just a stand in for the vocals.

I want to have a kind of lonesome, very simple solitary feel, especially at the beginning as the lyrics of the song  are about the transition from a very difficult time in life to a new beginning.

So here is a link to what i have at the moment.   Suggestions are very welcome!

TSoriWIP

Thanks!  

(also just realized there's a lots of static in there.  I just need to restart my computer before i export it again, but for the issue at hand its not really necessary.  ignore it please)

I think the main thing that is lacking is reverb. I literally don't hear any. This musical style seems kind of 80's, Phoenix Wright-esque. You should compare with the following music, and that may help you to determine how much works for your track.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 'True Evening' by WillRock (Listen for the general spaciousness the reverb gives)

Pokemon Gold Version - 'Slowpoke Shuffle' (Listen for the drum reverb)

Some free reverbs that I would recommend are Tal-Reverb 2 and Ambience. You may also want to watch this overview of common reverb features:

Thanks  for the info.  I'll look into it!   Yeah  I had basically removed all of the reverb because I didn't like what I was getting with it.  I would like for the notes to "ring" more  but the reverb I had on it made the the attack echo, which I felt muddied up what I wanted to be a clean sound.  I couldn't figure out how to get that "ring" with out hearing the attack on the note echoed multiple times as well.   

The video on reverb is very helpful. I'm still experimenting to figure out how to get the result I'm after.  My DAWs options are also a bit different.  I happened to listen to
this ReMix  the other day though  and  the melody at 3:33  is very much like the kind of sound i'm going for with short notes that "ring" for a while.  Any insight into what setting to tweak to get that kind of effect would be helpful.  in the meantime I will keep experimenting!