Email: 
Website(s):
Userid: 3899

Remixer name: Sagnewshreds
Userid: 32371

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Secret of Mana
Name of Arrangement: Beyond the Big Infinity
Names of songs arranged: Flight Into The Unknown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA96aHvbnsQ)
Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

Originally Sam (Sagnewshreds) claimed this track for the Secret of Mana album, but due to time constraints he wasn’t able to do a full remix in time. Since I felt that this was an iconic track we needed to have on the album, I offered him to collaborate, with me taking the lead in the track and Sam helping out with guitar parts.

We started talking about his original idea, which was chiptune with guitars. I tried some things, but couldn’t come up with anything good. In stead I opted to take a different route, and after my first synthwave track “Shovel Power” I felt it would be interesting to explore the genre further. I started out with the ‘chorus’ part from the source track because I figured that’d make excellent material for the typical Italo/synthwave staple background synth stabs. After I added some gated Linn drums, some typical bassline patterns for the genre and messed around with the melody from the source, the rest fell into place very naturally.

Of course I couldn’t resist and try to add some chiptune anyway, and that was a perfect excuse to incorporate a chiptune solo too. Since I knew that Sam is a great guitar player, I also added some guitar leads in there, and as he requested I reserved a nice space in the arrangement for the kickass guitar solo he cooked up. Add copious amounts of reverb for that 80s vibe, slice it until it grooves, season it with some more cheesy synth sounds, et voila: 80s synthpop cheese! Bon apetit :)

Cheers,
Jorrith

It's a bizarre mix of genres, but I can't say there's anything in there that doesn't work.  The melody gets a little repetitive (especially the main hook with the triplets, which is lengthy and repeats 6 times), but it's a short source, and the remix does take it in different directions.  Production is on point, as expected.  I don't have any significant concerns; it'll be a great addition to the album.

YES

It's definitely a different approach to the source material; it stands on it's own with the different reharmonizations used throughout, but it definitely stands firmly in the source material. The sound design is pretty eclectic, which works great for the most part. The guitar, while well performed (nice job, Sagnewshred), didn't blend into the soundscape as well as I would've liked. It sounded like it was in a different space than the rest of the synths & drums, with the EQ balance and reverb levels being notably different than the rest of the arrangement. That's a small gripe, though, and definitely not even close to swinging my vote - everything else, from the synths to the performances are spot on, and the arrangement is great. I'm looking forward to the finished product as far as the album is concerned, especially considering the standard of excellence that has been pushed through our panel so far.

YES

Really liking the nice, full retro 80's synth bass sound providing the foundation here.  Arrangement is pretty straightforward, but creatively handled nonetheless.  Lead at 1:32 felt a bit hot in the mid-high range, so a small EQ scoop could be warranted.  I sort of hear what's being said about guitar not quite gelling with the rest of the sounds, space-wise, though I think it's minor.  What bothered me more was the interplay between the guitar and lead at 2:49, where due to writing differences between the two and part complexity, it just comes off as messy to me.  3:38 again has a similar issue.  It's not quite enough to bring this one below the bar for me, but honestly it got close near the end.  

Overall, I'm diggin the style and production is pretty solid overall.  I justreally wish there was more complimentary writing between the guitar and synths, rather than them sounding like they're stepping on each other.

YES (borderline)

Note: I'm still going to let the marinate for a while because I'm not a solid yes here.  I want to hear how much the lead interplays bother me later with another few listens.  Could still flip.

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/08/21 - (3Y) Secret of Mana "Beyond the Big Infinity"

I can hear the issues the others are mentioning, but I am not as bothered by them as the others. Really love the style change, and the bass is kickin'! Great energy overall, and while it gets a tad repetitive towards the end I felt it didn't overstay it's welcome. Nice collab between you two, hope you both work together again!

YES