• userid: 34748

Submission Information:

Link to remix:   
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country
  • Name of arrangement: Factory of Fear
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged:  Fear Factory
  • Original Composer: David Wise
  • Link to the original soundtrackhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM

Pretty straightforward remix.  Very few changes to the progression, mostly just a re-instrumentation to retro synths.  Still, there's enough added accompaniment, padding, and effects to keep this out of too-conservative territory IMO.

However, it is pretty repetitive, especially for the length, with 1:56-2:42 bearing very close similarity to 0:30-1:12.  Sounds like there were some changes in the filters, the addition of a hi-hat, and maybe a couple of added effects.  That's about a quarter of the arrangement that doesn't really introduce any new ideas.  The sections that aren't repeated are the intro, a short bridge, and a breakdown.  That's very little to hinge a remix on.

I'm of two minds about this one.  The repetitiveness is the only real problem I have.  The instrumentation is solid and the production is very good (aside from a few brief moments when the swirling filters aren't quite ideal).  And 25% is right about where my personal threshold for repetitiveness is.  I'll mull this over a bit more and keep my eyes on the other votes, but for now:

YES (borderline)

... Did I just get Rick Roll'd? Those drums are quite distinctive.

The arrangement sounds pretty "classic OCR" in the sound design, and the arrangement is pretty conservative. The changes in the style of the source and additional bridge squeak this one by on the acceptability scale, but it was pretty close in that regard. The differences that ARE there are pretty slick, though - the variations to the theme, the extensions of the material, and the additional bridging section are tastefully done. I appreciate the more intense drums and hats on the second iteration of the track, too - it does just enough to keep the part sounding interesting.

The production values are pretty solid in this one. The mixing is generally very well done, too, though the lead sounds just a hair piercing at 0:30. It's pretty unabashedly four-to-the-floor, and the fills are very... Rick-rollish? The hats and filters on the drums do give it some much needed variety, though.

It's not a bad little package, here: decent production, acceptable arranging, some cool ideas to help it stand out. It's not the most fresh take on the source, but it does precisely what it needs to do. Nicely done.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2017/09/03 - (2Y) Donkey Kong Country "Factory of Fear"
  • 4 months later...

I was a bit worried that this was going to be overly repetitive, but I agree that there's just enough to keep things interesting. That being said, I think some more changes to the melodies or structure could make a pretty big difference. Overall the track feels cookie cutter between the drums and background, but the subtle changes in the lead and melodies adds a little extra spice. 1:13-1:32 does this the best.

This is a close one, but I think it gets the job done in the end. In the future work on sound more variation to the various parts as well as the structure. 

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to do a trancey/electronica remix of this song for years, if only to compete with blind's classic "Industrial Fear".  This remix didn't blow me away, but it is solid, and enjoyable, and mostly fault-free.  It does enough to distinguish itself from the original for me, and overall, is a fun, albeit vanilla experience.

These drums tho, they sound a lot like Fruity Loop's default library, which in context here sound fine.  Maybe they aren't exactly that, but they did bring me back to that classic, mid 2000's OCR sound.  Nothing wrong with that, as a lot of my favorite mixes come from that era.  A lot of people enjoy conservative mixes rather than others that bring the originals in wildly different directions so I think a lot of people will also enjoy this too.

Off to the front page with you!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/09/03 - *YES - TAG* Donkey Kong Country "Factory of Fear"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic