Any plans for a FF VI Remix Project?

Deathtank

there are too many project around lately. I think it's better to wait before starting anything.

As discussed in one of the project threads (I believe the DKC2 one in ReQuests), there will ALWAYS be projects going on. It all depends on the timing.

BUT, it also depends on if it's an OCR one or not. There are 14 OCR Site Projects in the works currently; and it will remain 14 after FF7 gets released due to Taucer going forth with the DKC2 one.

While over at OLR we only have 3 8). We need more people to do more massive projects!

The FF7 project is pretty enormous, but once we finish it, I'd like to turn to another popular OST and see what can be done. In the case of FF7, even though there are lots of ReMixes out there from it, the vast majority of the soundtrack was untouched. Not quite so w/ FF6... it would have to be a themed project or at least not just a "remix anything you want in any style" kinda deal.

Either way, not gonna happen for a bit, I'd say.

Honestly, it would be nice to see an FFVI Project, however, since the FFVII project headed by Zircon is still being worked on, I think it should wait until at least January. Personally, I'd like to see a Megaman X and Megaman Zero remix project. Seperately, of course.

Those would rock.

FF6? Really?

The 51 remixes we have aren't enough?

I think there's a pretty significant difference between a bunch of standalone remixes and a collaborative effort to remix a series of tracks from a particular game. I enjoyed the 'theme' that Relics had (but that was because the project was pretty much just Prot masturbating through fruityloops), and Chrono Symphonic had a common trait throughout the album (the whole symphonic thing duh).

I think the weakest part of KiC was that it was essentially what all projects typically become - just a bunch of remixes from the same game. Binnie did a good job trying to relate the first track to the next with crossfading or whatever, but that was pretty much it. Each mixer picked a song, went their seperate ways for a year, and all the songs were tossed together under one album name in the end.

The idea with projects should really be a bunch of remixers working *together* to achieve a common goal - instead of parting ways at the start. And I think that's where the draw of organizing a project comes from - rather than simply paying tribute to a particular game's soundtrack, the fact that a group of people - essentially strangers - can organize to remix a project from start to finish is a pretty cool thing.

I guess my point is that the project isn't really all about just the music. I say the more projects, the merrier - But rather than just *enter game name* : REMIX PROJECT, I think more interesting themes or goals should become part of more projects.

I don't know, Eon. KiC is still considered by a lot of people to be the best project on the site. There's something to be said for just a high quality collection of ReMixes from a game soundtrack. I liked RotC as much as the next guy, but KiC had a certain magic to it - a combination of the mixers involved and a really great soundtrack. I'm going for that same sort of thing with Voices of the Lifestream. You're going to hear classical guitar, breakbeat, drum n' bass, synth metal, new age, solo piano, the works. But I think the mix of styles is what's going to make the project strong.

But the most important thing about a project is that you end up covering themes that would probably not get touched normally. Ok, we have 51 FF6 ReMixes on the site. How many people have covered Spinach Rag? Mines of Narshe? Locke's Theme? Mt. Koltz? Cyan's Theme? The Unforgiven? The Serpent Trench? Under Martial Law? Metamorphosis? Any of the opera themes? Johnny C. Bad? Blackjack? Gogo's Theme? SLAM SHUFFLE?! Frickin SLAM SHUFFLE!

I mean, geez! There's so much great music on there that hasn't been touched.

I don't know, Eon. KiC is still considered by a lot of people to be the best project on the site. There's something to be said for just a high quality collection of ReMixes from a game soundtrack. I liked RotC as much as the next guy, but KiC had a certain magic to it - a combination of the mixers involved and a really great soundtrack. I'm going for that same sort of thing with Voices of the Lifestream. You're going to hear classical guitar, breakbeat, drum n' bass, synth metal, new age, solo piano, the works. But I think the mix of styles is what's going to make the project strong.

But the most important thing about a project is that you end up covering themes that would probably not get touched normally. Ok, we have 51 FF6 ReMixes on the site. How many people have covered Spinach Rag? Mines of Narshe? Locke's Theme? Mt. Koltz? Cyan's Theme? The Unforgiven? The Serpent Trench? Under Martial Law? Metamorphosis? Any of the opera themes? Johnny C. Bad? Blackjack? Gogo's Theme? SLAM SHUFFLE?! Frickin SLAM SHUFFLE!

I did mines of narshe once. In fact it was the first mix I submitted... 3 or 4 years ago.

Good point, of course, with such a huge quantity and quality of songs, a remix project of FF VI wouldnt be ready soon but Im glad people who know how to remix are interested in it as a future project.

I too would be interested in writing music for an FF6 project soundtrack. Although, I'd prefer to see an FF4 project soundtrack because FF4 tends to be under-remixed compared to FF6. mmm... leap into the darkness.

Despite being a wicked popular game FF4 is under-remixed. There are tons of wicked good sources off of FF4 no one has ever touched. There are also lots of good tunes from FF6 too, like Cyan's theme.

• 1 month later...

I am a listener, not a remixer. (Though I wish I was)

I am a forum noob, for the most part.

But, I must admit, FFVI has the most solid soundtrack in the entire series, in my opinion. Yes, the site has plenty of remixes on it, but to form a pure project on the soundtrack, I think, would be a shining achievement to the the remixers who work on it.

I think there's a pretty significant difference between a bunch of standalone remixes and a collaborative effort to remix a series of tracks from a particular game. I enjoyed the 'theme' that Relics had (but that was because the project was pretty much just Prot masturbating through fruityloops), and Chrono Symphonic had a common trait throughout the album (the whole symphonic thing duh).

I think the weakest part of KiC was that it was essentially what all projects typically become - just a bunch of remixes from the same game. Binnie did a good job trying to relate the first track to the next with crossfading or whatever, but that was pretty much it. Each mixer picked a song, went their seperate ways for a year, and all the songs were tossed together under one album name in the end.

The idea with projects should really be a bunch of remixers working *together* to achieve a common goal - instead of parting ways at the start. And I think that's where the draw of organizing a project comes from - rather than simply paying tribute to a particular game's soundtrack, the fact that a group of people - essentially strangers - can organize to remix a project from start to finish is a pretty cool thing.

I guess my point is that the project isn't really all about just the music. I say the more projects, the merrier - But rather than just *enter game name* : REMIX PROJECT, I think more interesting themes or goals should become part of more projects.

Best posts ever. I totally agree with both somehow. Which doesn't make sense. But I love them.

• 2 weeks later...
I think there are enough FF6 remixes out there that a project would be completely unnecessary. Of course, I thought the same thing about FF7...But I'm willing to give zircon the benefit of the doubt in that case. :P

I second that thought...they could "make" a project just by compiling all of the FF6 remixes they currently have into a big giant Taurent lol :D