OCR00294 - Donkey Kong Country "Phear the Monkey"

m68030

This remix totally rocks in everyway possible, from crazy monkey hollering to awsome gitar riffs and dance house vocals. This is a high grade DK remix and my personal favorite so go download it now. I give it a 10/10 hands down, when u have 2 awsome remixers collaborate like this u cant lose. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• 1 month later...

This mix is awesome, especially when the guitar kicks in with the theme at about 1 minute into the piece. The only gripe I have is that I find all the "pump up the volume" and "go go!" stuff to be a bit annoying. Otherwise, this is a phat DKC remix, muthafuka!

EDIT: This remix is so good, it's made me make a complete ass of myself!

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the opening, some of the breakdowns, and the end. The sort of muted guitar was interesting in it's own 1950s-Prom-Night-slow-dance kind of way, and I thought it worked well with the breaks, but other than that, the track isn't really sitting in a very prominent place in my brain. I took the time to download all the DKC remixes currently available, and as I write this, they're all sitting in my playlist. But I keep having to play this one over and over because for the most part, I forget how it sounds. I mean, I'd recognize it if I heard it, but it seemed like too many different musical styles were just being crammed into 3.5 minutes. The main lead guitar didn't feel quite right...It sounded kind of like the riff from "Firestarter" with a bit less feedback and raised an octave. I dunno...I don't think I can honestly say I like this track.

• 1 month later...

I simply cannot get enough of this track. I listen to it over and over, but I still want to listen to it!!! Oi, this track is simply amazing...like fire & ice, these two remixers would not have been thought to mix well (no pun intended), but they really have a masterpiece here.

• 4 months later...

I pity the foo who don't listen to this. Crunchy. I like the monkey noises, when the glass breaks, and the cheesy explosion noise :) All it needs is during the part where the guy says "Pump up the volume" and "Go go" is to have a few carefuly chosen lyrics from the Super Smash Bros. Melee stage, which a friend sent to me once and I post here now for the curious :)

H-H-H...Here we go!

So they're finally here, performing for you

If you know the words, you can join in too

Put your hands together if you want to clap

As we take you through this fun-ky rap! HUH!

D. K.! Donkey Kong!

* He's the leader of the bunch. You know him well.

He's finally back to kick some tail!

[break: 2 Measures, Monkey Yells](1)

His coconut gun can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya, [Monkey Yell] it's gonna hurt! (2)

He's bigger! faster! and stronger too!

He's the first member of the DK crew!

D. K.! Donkey Kong! HEY!

D. K.! Donkey Kong is here!

[break: 1 Measure]

This Kong's got style, so listen up dudes!

She shrinks in size to suit her mood!

[break: 2 Measures]

She's quick n' nimble when she needs to be

She floats in air and climbs up trees!

If you choose her, you won't choose wrong

With a skip and a hop, she's ONE COOL KONG!

D. K.! Donkey Kong!

[break: 4 Measures]

He has no style, he has no grace

This Kong...has a funny face

He can handstand when he wants to

And stretch his arms out just for you!

In-flate himself just like a balloon

This cra-zy Kong just digs this tune! HEY!

D. K.! (D. K.!) Donkey Kong!

D. K.! (D. K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

He's back again, and about time, too

And this time, he's in the mood!

He can fly real high

with his jetpack on...

With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!

He can make you smile when you hear his tune...

But, Kremlings beware

'cause he's out after you!

D. K.! Donkey Kong!

D. K.! Donkey Kong!

(fading)

D. K.! Donkey Kong!

D. K....

Fi-nal-ly, he's here for you!

It's the LAST member of the D. K. crew!

This Kong's...so strong, it isn't funny!

Can make a Kremling cry out for Mummy!

He can pick up a boulder with relative ease

Makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze

He may move slow; he can't jump high

But this Kong's one heck of a guy! Hehehe...

Come on Cranky!

Take it to the stage!

** Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells!

Grapes, melons, oranges, and coconut shells!

** REPEAT

Oh, yeah!

[break: 4 Measures]

* REPEAT (and fading)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! A remix that I like that has a lot of elements! Wild DKC intro beat! Guitars, drums, other stuff, Monkeys ooping and screaming, guns, people singing, and the "Pump up da volume." guy! I love this! Top reccomendation for a CD or whatever! Listen. Love. Worship. Something along those lines, but you'll know what I mean when you hear it.

• 4 months later...

Holy cow. This is even better than Diddy Evolution (sorry DJpretzel). Why was I wasting my time NOT downloading this song!! This is a super-killer remix with the "pump up the volume", crazy beats, and a jungle atmosphere. All DKC fans SHOULD and I mean SHOULD check this remix out!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
All it needs is during the part where the guy says "Pump up the volume" and "Go go" is to have a few carefuly chosen lyrics from the Super Smash Bros. Melee stage, which a friend sent to me once and I post here now for the curious :)

Dude, that´s the lyrics for DK64, one of the best ever. When we first heard it we tried to learn the text, it´s so awesome. But it doesn´t fade at the end, it gets abruptly turned off by an orangegrenade. Just to make everythin´ clear.

Oh, right the remix.

It´s very action-filled, monkey-noises and gunfire along with explosions, heavy guitar and a cute synth in the beginning. A little too much action fer me, I like mixes that gets to the point straight ahead, but this was just a DK-track getting stuffed with sound-effects. The guitar and the bass was good, you could clearly hear the melody, but too noisy for me.

I´ll give it 5/10. :)

This time, Scott Peeples has joined forces with Prozax to conduct another drum-bashing DKC mix. This one had both its ups and downs. The sound effects and sound waves were a real treat along with the announcer always saying "pump up the volume". The only down I would have for this is that the monkey yells and explosions get pretty annoying close to about half-way through the mix. Nevertheless, this is a remix that brings out the punk'd in every DKC fan.

Final Grade: 8 out of 10

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I have to be the odd woman out. While I liked the song in itself, I didn't think it was really much of a remix. It stands on its own as a techno song, but the 15 seconds of the theme mixed within scattered sound effects and whatnot made me give this one maybe a 5/10. It gets good props for just being a good song, but as a remix I didn't really hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Grargh, I recognize that main monkey sound used extensively throughout the entire thing, but I can't think of the origin. Is it from Paper Mario? That's my best guess right now.

Anyway, it's a good remix, although it does tend to stray from its main melody quite a bit. That's not a huge problem, but like others said, it gives off the feeling that it tried to cram too much into a small amount of time. Too many different styles within the same track.

It's still a first class track though. I applaud you for your efforts.

• 1 year later...

Review 13/1522

I almost feel like an ass for this but I didn't like this particular mix. In the beginning the direct source riffs were too quiet and the monkey sounds were almost as unnecessary as the pump up the volume lyrics that appear in every other mainstream techno album. One thing remains for certain, everyone has different tastes and likes with style and the remixers worked their asses off without a doubt. but its just not for me...and believe me, I don't like to write a bad review, makes me feel guilty most of the time

Score: 3/10 "DK banana peel"

• 10 months later...

well, i'm not sure anything can make me phear a monkey more than the monkey love mix can, but let's give it a shot...

Arrangement-wise, this is damn hot, but the execution is where it falls flat. It's clear that the mixers had a strong vision here, and the sounds chosen are all perfect, but there are just a few production issues holding things back, like the levels on several elements. You guys should have taken your own advice and pumped up the volume on that lead guitar. :<

There were a few timing issues in the rhythm playing as well, and the synth that's on the right side as well. Nothing so dealbreaking that the mix is rendered unlistenable, but it certainly does keep the mix reaching it's full potential. The vocal breakdown was even cool, which is rare praise from me.

The mass of monkey soundeffects at the end started out cool, but it just ended up being excessive.

Overall a good mix, but it hasn't aged well.

• 1 year later...

That rocking lead was hot! Good dance beat and most of the vocals go well. Very nice rock techno ReMix. The only thing I don't like about this one is those damn monkey calls at the end. Seemed too shrill and annoying rather than fitting like the beginning ones. Also, random explosion at the end was random. End just didn't do it for me at all, but other than that, cheers on a good ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00294 - Donkey Kong Country "Phear the Monkey"
  • 4 years later...