Zone Tripper - Crushing Depth (Super Metroid Brinstar Red Soil Area Remix)

ZoneTripper

I played through Super Metroid again recently (I do so frequently in fact) and felt it would be fun to do a sort of dark and industrial remix of the Red Soil Brinstar theme. I'm curious what you guys think, so here's a link to the current WIP version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/339uxzexjjcywmr/Zone Tripper - Crushing Depth (Brinstar Red Remix) master.mp3?dl=0

And of course, the original arrangement:

Let me know what you think! I'm worried it stays too close to the original theme and I might have to add some more variations to it, but on the other hand I'm scared of kinda ruining the feel of it if I do...

The kick drum doesn't seem to exist in the same space as everything else. Consider adding a second kick and layering them, adjusting their levels and effects to get a more cohesive sound. The rest of the soundscape fits well together imo. There's some nice alterations to the melodies, and a nice slow build towards more and more elements in the mix. It's quite conservative in the arrangement, but I think there's plenty of your own touch here.

Don't worry about ruining the feel, your remix won't warp time and change the original no matter what you do. Just listen to the many different versions of this there are on the site (and elsewhere). They're all different spins on the same track, as is yours.

Cool stuff.

I don't think I've ever heard this theme arranged like this. It works really well! I do have to agree with Rozovian, the kick drum sounds off a bit. Everything else sounds great, though. Your remix may seem conservative, but it has enough added material to make it fresh. Great job! I can't wait to hear the finished mix. 

6 hours ago, Light_of_Aether said:

I don't think I've ever heard this theme arranged like this. It works really well! I do have to agree with Rozovian, the kick drum sounds off a bit. Everything else sounds great, though. Your remix may seem conservative, but it has enough added material to make it fresh. Great job! I can't wait to hear the finished mix. 

Glad you like it, I'll update the topic when I've worked more on it. :)