OCR03833 - *YES* Mega Man 3 "You Got the Power"

Gario

Hello, 

Here is a new submission from me once again! (PsyNES).

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Mega Man 3 NES
  • Name of arrangement - You Got the Power
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Weapon Acquired screen
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - none
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - I think this is on your site already
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
    Psytrance / Hard NRG ReMix from my favorite Mega Man game! This is actually from 2013, but I updated this a little bit before sending to you, hopefully it'll pass! 

Is this my favorite 'Weapons get' themes from Megaman? I think it is!

Gotta love the fast pace against the slow build you've got going, here. It takes until about 1:42 to really have everything come together, but with that pacing this does a great job keeping us interested in the track to this point. The drop in most of the instruments at 2:08 helps section this track nicely, preventing it from being too static (which is tough to do with this source, being it's so darn short).

The textures are pretty thin before that square comes in, which makes a lot of the track sound thin and nasally. The track could've used something else in the texture to give it more midrange EQ balance to offset this. Not a big deal, but something to think about in the future.

Loved it, hope to see this on the front page!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/03 - (1Y) Mega Man 3 'You Got the Power'

For such a short source, this remix does a good amount with it.  Lots of transformations and breakdowns to keep things interesting.  I'm definitely in agreement with Gario that more presence in the mids and lows would have been appreciated, but I think the thin textures are actually a benefit in this situation--each one occupies a very narrow frequency band, so they don't conflict even though they're crammed into the mid-high to high range.  Overall, this gets the job done and is a lot of fun besides.

YES

• 3 months later...

Really there isn't much to add that hasn't already been mentioned by the gents. There's a lot of subtle changes and build that help keep things interesting, which can be tough on a track with such a short source. I'd also have liked more low and mid end, and I would also add that some more drum variation would have been nice, but I'm cool with it as it stands.

YES

I had a similar issue with this as I did with Jari's Darkwing Duck mix, i.e. the lead's too quiet relative to the pumping beats and other instrumentation. After 1:15, the balance was tilted more toward the melody being in the foreground, so that was a positive, but when things really picked up at 3:00 with a lot of original writing sprinkled in, the soundscape just felt cluttered. 3:26's section went back to being less crowded toward the finish, but I felt this otherwise solid enough arrangement needed another production pass. Good stuff so far though, just clear up the mixing to some extent.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/03 - (3Y/1N) Mega Man 3 'You Got the Power'

Good pumping groove to start things off. There was a distinct lack of high-end initially, but this was built in over time by the leads and percussion so was obviously a design choice. The snare is awfully quiet. I share Liontamer's concern that it is difficult to make out what the lead instrument is at points, with most things sitting at a similar level. In fact backing instruments seem to take more of a front seat here than than lead.

Arrangement progression is pretty basic, with the usual break downs and build-ups of layers, but was mostly enjoyable and ended before anything become too repetitive.

I think I'm with Larry about needing another production pass on this one - things feel flattened too much here, with most instruments sounding like they're at a similar level. Coupled with the amount of reverb you have going on, it was challenging at times to understand what was leading and what was supporting. I'm sure a quick revisit could solve this issue.

NO

• Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

Whenever I see someone trying to remix weapon get/boss battle themes from mega man games I get worried, as they're always short themes and they tend to get stretched too thin or not be substantial enough due to how short the originals are.  I think this remix manages to avoid both issues fairly well, even if it has to do quite a bit of original content to fill that space.  The production is sufficiently clear in my opinion.  It's not perfect and the dynamic range does seem squashed in some busy sections but I don't think it drags it down enough.  There's quite a bit of attention put into the instrument choice, as there's enough modulation, filtering and change over time as to not make them sound overly vanilla or boring.

This is a fun, simple mix and I think it manages to do enough to go over.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/11/03 - (4Y/2N) Mega Man 3 'You Got the Power'
  • 2 weeks later...

So short and sweet vote.

Liking the approach.  Connections & arrangement both clear and creative.  I do agree to a certain extent with the leads being buried a bit, especially on the first go-around.  The excessive delay at times didn't help (and actually caused some off-sounding notes just after the 1-minute mark), but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.  I agree production could use a bit more space/dynamic range, but I don't think the bar is that high on that end to hold this back.  Good, fun stuff.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03833 - *YES* Mega Man 3 "You Got the Power"