*NO* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Give Me Your Heart Piece"

Gario

If accepted, we should request lyrics for this.

- Gario

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Legend of Zelda
  • Name of arrangement: Give Me Your Heart Piece
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Great Fairy Fountain
  • Link to the original soundtrack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSM9LzCGW0BeGJyNFRVbHd1azQ
  • If Link from Legend of Zelda wrote a love track about Princess Zelda, this would be it! This track is about the beauty of Princess Zelda from Link’s perspective. The song is rapped/sung on a hip hop version of the “Great Fairy Fountain” beat. Give me your heart piece!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

This is super cool, vocals are dynamite, but I feel like there's something off with the chords, there are some notes that aren't quite fitting in, and it makes the soundscape dissonant and washy.  Anyone else hearing that?  It could be due to the long pad notes bleeding into each other,  but honestly I hear dissonance starting with the sparse intro, the bass notes don't quite work.  Agreed let's request lyrics if it passes.  I'm very interested to hear more opinions on the harmony/dissonance issue.

edit 1/24/19:  That harmonic dissonance still bugs me.  Also, the vocals are all mixed in the center, making the track unnecessarily mono-ish.  I'm not quite ready to pass this one yet.

NO (resubmit please)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/10/17 - (1Y/1?) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Give Me Your Heart Piece'

I hear dissonance in the track, but everything I hear is inherent to the source - there's all sorts of passing tones and such in the original. I don't hear any NEW dissonance in the arrangement that sounds out of place. Zelda's lullaby is similarly dissonant, if one listens closely - it's kind of a thing with the LTTP soundtrack, strangely enough...

I'll also be the first to say that dissonance doesn't inherently mean it's bad or wrong, as long as it's resolved well. Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Pretty slick, pretty smooth. The lyrics are well delivered and are on point for references to the game/series. I'm going to be nitpicky because I can, the vocals sound a little overpowering on headphones and sometimes the backing is lost as a result. Nothing egregious, just me being picky.

I hope you get the heart this time <3

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The opening piano should sound more realistic and less mechanical, but I'll live.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:24 PM, DragonAvenger said:

I'm going to be nitpicky because I can, the vocals sound a little overpowering on headphones and sometimes the backing is lost as a result. Nothing egregious, just me being picky.

Nah, this isn't nitpicky at all. The backing gets practically lost for me on headphones, so this mixing's a dealbreaker because the source tune's getting marginalized during the fullest sections, e.g. every chorus and even some of the verses (:24-:36, :50-1:01, 1:13-1:38). Even when it's audible, it's too pushed back (e.g. :36-:46, 1:01-1:13). It's otherwise a strong & creative track, and I didn't have a problem with any dissonance, but this mixing's got to be addressed for me to get on board.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/10/17 - (2Y/1?/1N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Give Me Your Heart Piece'
  • DragonAvenger pinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

Nice little buzzy bass line. The vocals seem to work well and harmonise nicely with each other. There is a bit of dissonance between the piano backing notes and the main vocal melody however, which I found a little jarring and became a persistent problem throughout most of the arrangement.

Production wise, vocals are up front and centre, with backups mostly centred as well. This makes the centre of the mix quite crowded. Things are mostly easy to hear when where aren’t too many things happening, but clarity drops when things like SFX and strings drop in. The outro is relatively sudden and I feel it could’ve had more done to close things out.

I think the dissonant disparity between the backing and vocals is something that doesn’t quite work here. Mixing could also do with a revisit for clarity in built up areas. I would like a revisit to see what can be improved.

NO

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about this one for a while.

I see both Chimpz' and Larry's crits.  That dissonance is subtle--I think the lead synth in the intro/outtro has a component that's just a few cents off, making it sound out of tune.  It's notable but forgivable IMO.

As for the vocals dominating the melody, that's a tricky call.  There's not much to the Great Fairy's Fountain, so from an arrangement perspective, it's a good idea to use it as backing.  The question to me is whether it runs afoul of our source standards.  For reference:

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

• While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.
  • The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

It's definitely identifiable and substantial.  The question to me is whether it counts as "dominant."  This is an arrangement that uses the Great Fairy's Fountain, but I'm of two minds whether to call it an arrangement of the Great Fairy's Fountain.  It does remain faithful to the chord progression and frequently harmonizes with the source.  The chorus in particular strongly conveys the sense of building on the source rather than just running roughshod over it like the first part of each verse does.

I think this would be a stronger submission if the first part of each verse (e.g. 0:24-0:37) was more closely related to the source material.  However, while there are a lot of these "disconnected" sections, they're short and don't disrupt the connection for long.  I don't have a problem with the balance for the rest of it; the rap is structured in such a way as to emphasize the source's pattern despite being louder than it, and I didn't have a problem hearing it at all.

I have mixed feelings, but ultimately I think there's more about this that works than doesn't.  I wouldn't mind that dissonance being cleaned up, but I think that there's room on the front page for it as-is.

YES

• 1 month later...

Torn on this one. The vocal performance is good, but I'm not feeling how much this track leans on what is essentially an original melody for all of the sung parts. I also agree with Larry that the mixing really needs a look over; the backing is getting lost. The lyrics themselves are fine.

The backing track is okay; feels like the original with nice beats and a good bassline.

Gonna have to say NO on this though. Maybe some better mixing can fix this.

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/10/17 - (3Y/4N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Give Me Your Heart Piece'
  • 3 weeks later...

Love this track!  Definitely feeling the crits on the mixing issues.  Between the vocals and downbeat sub bass hits, things are getting overcrowded, which at times obscures the other instrumentation.  Agreeing also on some of the dissonance concerns.  The most obvious being the backing female vocal notes starting at 2:28 that just sound wrong to me.

Great creative track and I'm never guessing what's being remixed.  Even if just the mixing was cleaned up, I'd likely be ok passing this, but it would be nice to have a look at some of the note choices used as well.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/10/17 - (3Y/5N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Give Me Your Heart Piece'
On 1/21/2019 at 12:36 PM, DarkeSword said:

I'm not feeling how much this track leans on what is essentially an original melody for all of the sung parts.

To me, that's a non-issue. It may bring into question whether the usage of the source material is "dominant" when taking the Submission Standards into account - and I know DS didn't explicitly say it was that level of an issue - but to me, wholly original lyrics that aren't derived from the source are OK as long as the instrumental adequately provides that source tune connection.

For Joey, please resubmit this. Again, for me, this just needs production adjustments; the arrangement itself doesn't need to be touched. Also, please send lyrics for anything you're involved in; whenever it gets passed, we try to include lyrics in the files and on the site for fans to have. Looking forward to hearing this one again!