OCR03812 - *YES* Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. "I Accidentally the Whole Mario" *RESUB*

Gario

Previous Decision

• Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Land
  • Name of arrangement: I Accidentally the Whole Mario
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Super Mario Bros. (Overworld), Super Mario Land (Overworld)

Link to track:

Hi, friends!

This is a resubmit. I do apologize, but I seem to have lost the original email thread, on my end. Maybe you still have it on yours--here's hoping.

This time, I've revised the arrangement in accordance with your feedback--thank you very much--and called in my good friend and collaborator Tanner Brown, AKA "tanner4105," to do the mixing and mastering. If you post this, please credit it to our production collective The Grammar Club, which you already have an entry for in your system. If you'd do us the solid favor of linking to our Patreon, as well, that would be just fantastic for us.

Best wishes,
-Shael
www.patreon.com/thegrammarclub

First, is it "I Accidentally The Super Mario" per the file name, or "I Accidentally the Whole Mario" per the email and the previous submission?

I never heard the original version, but this certainly doesn't have the severe balance issued described the last time.  It's still not perfect, though, with a more-than-healthy amount of clipping, pumping, and distortion throughout.  The bass introduced at 1:37 causes significant distortion, especially in combination with some of the deeper percussion and the "brass".  There's also a sort of bass crash that clips severely every time (e.g. 0:42).  I see this peaking at over +0.6dB, and there's just no reason for that.

The arrangement is a lot of fun, and I'd love to see this posted in some form, but this needs some limiting/compression to be passable IMHO.

NO (resubmit)

• Gario changed the title to 2017/10/22 - (1Y/1N) Super Mario Bros. + Super Mario Land 'I Accidentally the Whole Mario'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

Super happy and a ton of energy! I didn't hear the original, but I'm really enjoying the changes to the melodies, and the overall groove is great. I'm not hearing any distortion/clipping that MW mentioned, or if I am it's timed well that it doesn't affect my listening. Thanks for bringing this back to us, definitely a great track!

YES

I didn't hear the first version, but I was initially more on the fence, mainly because the Super Mario Land portion actually felt more plodding to me on account of the beats, along with the arrangement being melodically conservative. That said, the sound palette was changed and filled in, so that was personalized well, and the Super Mario Bros. portion had more arrangement flair to it after 1:36 that picked everything back up with further variety and creativity, followed by the original section towards the end. The chippy sound was strong and the effects really did fill this in nicely; good low-end heft to the sound. I didn't have a problem with the production stuff that MindWanderer pointed out, but if what he says is accurate re: the clipping, it should be tweaked/fixed before we post it. I was more borderline and I would have liked more dynamic contrast here, but Shael gets it done.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/10/22 - (3Y/1N) Super Mario Bros. + Super Mario Land 'I Accidentally the Whole Mario'
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03812 - *YES* Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. "I Accidentally the Whole Mario" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic