Your website:

Your userid:

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged:
Super Mario Land but also a little baby amount of Super Mario 64
Name of arrangement:
Welcome Goombo Probably
Name of individual song(s) arranged:
Do they have names? Oh, they DO! It's Birabuto Kingdom, a little bit of Muda Kingdom, and a dash of Dire Dire Docks from SM64.
Your own comments about the mix:
I did a thing. Man it's been a while since I submitted. Made this for a itty bitty Super Mario EP that me and my Grammar Club compatriots released on Super Mario Day-- the holiday formerly known as Columbus Day. Replace one genocidal Italian with another. Aren't we clever? Made a couple minor tweaks to the song since the release of the EP because I am weird and indecisive. The song itself is uh some cheesy electric piano kwak with some cheesy drums and guitars. Also organs. Playing organs is fun. So satisfying when you hit that wheel and the leslie kicks in. Feels good. Feels right. Almost as fun as playing a real live electric piano, like a Wurlitzer 140B, of which one I own, but did not use on this track, I used my old Yamaha workstation, sorry for getting your hopes up. Ran some simple 80s EP patches through a bunch of dirty saturation and a series of LFOs to keep it alive and wobbly like bad tape. The only thing more fun than Wurlitzers is bad tape. Throw in some grimy guitar work and you have yourself a dildo. Dealio. You have yourself a dealio. Fun fact: did you know the baddies in Super Mario Land are actually called Goombos, not Goombas?
-Ty

The song is weird and definitely a thing involving bad tape. I like the instrument choices (even without a wurlitzer), and I like different/unexpected, so this seems to be up my alley. The reharmonizations are a really nice change of pace - jazzy and smooth. It's not as easy to hear the source behind it just because of how much these harmony changes affect the source, but it's certainly there more than enough for OCR. The addition of Mario 64's Dire Dire Docks at the end was... strange, but it worked well enough.

The performances are pretty good in this. The way the organ holds back at 0:24 sounds like it's mistakenly off-beat (even if it was intentional), but otherwise the performances are quite good (especially at 2:20 - I hear what you did there, you sneak).

At the end of the track it sounds like the audio cuts off rather than letting the instruments ring out for a short time. A minor issue, but if that could be fixed that would be ideal. Otherwise the production is what it's supposed to be - crunchy and stylistically lo-fi. It works well enough for me.

Otherwise, yeah, it's clever and different - definitely something that would be good on this site.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

The arrangement is certainly clever, enough to make up for the static lead.  I like the Dire Dire Docks cameo, personally.

I'm of two minds about the instrumentation and production, though.  I understand that the saturation is a stylistic choice, and mostly it works, but when the rhythm guitar kicks in at 0:44, the distortion is severe and it actually starts clipping in places.  It gets even more severely distorted, and crowded as well, at 1:14-1:57 when the lead guitar joins.  The bell synth, organ, and rhythm guitar conflict with each other heavily there.  However, it is authentic for the era when this style of music was popular.

I didn't hear "cut-off" audio at the end.  It just sounded like the performer took their hands off the keys instead of sustaining it out--a stylistic choice rather than a technical error, and I thought it worked just fine.

I think this is close, but the distortion bothers me a lot.  Clear up the levels a little and I think this will be good to go.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The way the verses ended seemed off-key in places (e.g. :11-:14, :55-:58, 1:40-1:42, 2:37-2:41), and I'm not sure what the point of that was; didn't sound good at all, and I'll never like it, but it was brief and I'll move past it.

Overall, the track was fine in terms of the bar, with a mellow, almost downer-style take on the source. The quick references to "Muda Kingdom" and "Dire, Dire Docks" were fun and well-integrated.

Agreed with MindWanderer on having 0 problem with the ending, and co-signing that it didn't sound cut off, so I'm not sure what Gario exactly heard. I also wasn't bothered at all by the distortion and didn't hear anything problematic on that level. Nice to see Ty back in the inbox. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/10/24 - (2Y/1N) Super Mario Land 'Welcome Goombo Probably'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm all up for this, it's dirty, it's intimate, and feels personal.  I think it could've gone farther when it comes to the manipulation of the lead melodies, and it feels a bit on autopilot at times, but I liked this and everything seems good enough to beat the bar.  Didn't feel the ending was a problem.  I love scratchy EPs and this song has it front and center and delivers.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/10/24) *YES - TAG* Super Mario Land "Welcome Goombo Probably"
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic