OCR03803 - *YES* Chrono Cross "The Fairy and the Water Dragon"

Gario

• 1 month later...

Very nice orchestration.  It's a little conservative, but as Rebecca usually does, there's a great deal of extra depth added via additional instrumentation.  Using the female vocals as harmony instead of melody was clever, and makes it all the more striking during the short part where it does take the lead.  The male chorus at 2:29-2:44 doesn't blend well with the other instruments and sounds dissonant, but otherwise I don't have any significant concerns here.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, lush arrangement here.  Connections are very clear and nicely developed with the additional instrumentation throughout.

Voices are well sequenced overall.  A few times I felt the lead female voice stretched the realism factor a bit with some of the note changes and long sustained vibrato notes.  Started to lose me a bit with the male/low voices at 2:30.  They have a dull, mushy tone making that section sound crowded, though their presence was brief.  I feel like they could've probably been left out of the equation in general without detracting from the arrangement.  Regarding the female lead mentioned above, 2:47 especially was pushing it with the high notes being pretty exposed with unrealistic sounding note switches.  This part was the weakest section for me though fortunately it was a brief one.

Somewhat nitpick: flute lead at 1:37 sounded more upfront than it needed to be (to me at least) in context of a more expansive set of backing instruments.

Lest this sound like an overly negative post, I'm overall really liking what I'm hearing here.  The soundscape is beautiful and emotive.  It's just those pesky 30 seconds in the middle :).  I'd like to hear some changes on the aforementioned 2:35 - 3:05 portion, but that alone isn't pushing it below the bar for me.

YES (borderline)

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/09/30 - (2Y) Chrono Cross 'The Fairy and the Water Dragon'
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if there's a connection that I'm missing, but I wasn't hearing any source until 1:21. Not a huge deal breaker on its own but combined with some of the other issues the other judges mentioned I think it add up here. I felt like some of the vocal leads and the flute felt somewhat blocky, especially in such an emotive setting.

For me this is coming just below the bar, though it's really close. I'm curious what the others think here and I might be swayed into a yes after I see their thoughts.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
On 1/8/2018 at 2:04 PM, Nutritious said:

Nice, lush arrangement here.  Connections are very clear and nicely developed with the additional instrumentation throughout.

Voices are well sequenced overall.  A few times I felt the lead female voice stretched the realism factor a bit with some of the note changes and long sustained vibrato notes.  Started to lose me a bit with the male/low voices at 2:30.  They have a dull, mushy tone making that section sound crowded, though their presence was brief.  I feel like they could've probably been left out of the equation in general without detracting from the arrangement.  Regarding the female lead mentioned above, 2:47 especially was pushing it with the high notes being pretty exposed with unrealistic sounding note switches.  This part was the weakest section for me though fortunately it was a brief one.

Somewhat nitpick: flute lead at 1:37 sounded more upfront than it needed to be (to me at least) in context of a more expansive set of backing instruments.

Lest this sound like an overly negative post, I'm overall really liking what I'm hearing here.  The soundscape is beautiful and emotive.  It's just those pesky 30 seconds in the middle :).  I'd like to hear some changes on the aforementioned 2:35 - 3:05 portion, but that alone isn't pushing it below the bar for me.

I wasn't borderline, but put me down with Nutritious for these crits. Solid regardless!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/09/30 - (3Y/1N) Chrono Cross 'The Fairy and the Water Dragon'
  • 4 weeks later...

While I'm not an expert, I thought the opening choir was well done, with solid integration of the other elements as they come in over time. Mixing between parts is largely well done, with good use of the stereo space. Some parts could do with slightly more foreground/background separation. The progression is not rushed, although changes could do with occurring a little more quickly. I also feel things were played a little too safe at times, with a lot of the original's cue's being relied on. I would have liked to hear some further originality mixed through. These crits aside, I think this is well done, a softer paced rendition, maintaining the angst of the original.

YES