OCR03641 - Chrono Trigger "Zeal Breeze"

Liontamer

I remember that for most of the time that I ever walked around the Kingdom of Zeal, I always felt a little uneasy. It was like I somehow knew, even from the moment I set foot in it for the first time, that something was off about the place. (And of course, as the game goes on, you find out just how "off" a lot of things are.) Maybe it's the uncommon opinion, but I felt that same quality present in the original "Corridor of Time" theme. So even though the music in the original soundtrack is meant to be beautiful and calm, I always found that it made me feel just a little bit on edge the whole time.

Anyway. As I listen to this, it reminds me of that one line that an NPC in Kajar says to you: "Your power... differs from ours. It's difficult to describe, but in you I sense a strange... kindness."

Yeah. Something about the gentler instrumentation, the Eastern-sounding quality, the smoother articulations... maybe it's just my layman's interpretation, but I find it comes across as "kinder." And so, I like this almost more than the original. I think it's a beautiful piece of work.

A gorgeous work here. By all accounts, at least the remixer knew what she was walking into - I'd postulate this is one of the top-3 most remixed songs in the history of OCR - and so I was pretty guarded, and only gave this a shot because of the ridiculous FF forest melody that the remixer put on the site earlier. Well I tried this and I'll be damned if this isn't one of my favorite takes I've ever heard. It's close to the original, but it (dare I say) enhances the ethereal feel and touch to a level of wonder. I was going to write about it in detail, and then LamanKnight crushed it, so I'll just quote the end:

On 11/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, LamanKnight said:

Yeah. Something about the gentler instrumentation, the Eastern-sounding quality, the smoother articulations... maybe it's just my layman's interpretation, but I find it comes across as "kinder." And so, I like this almost more than the original. I think it's a beautiful piece of work.

The ending from 3:48 on doesn't disappoint either. Wonderful, disquieting, inviting, and memorable on a piece that has no right to be so. Well, well done.