"Final Fantasy 7/11" (FF7 Battle Theme - Elevator Music Style)

LjB0

I know I need to finish my medieval Halo theme, but this came into my head and refused to leave until I got a demo version down!

This is Final Fantasy VII's ordinary battle theme ('Those Who Fight') rearranged in the annoyingly catchy, classic style of 'Elevator Music' (sort of Bossa Nova). It's called 'Final Fantasy 7/11' as I remember this kind of cheesy stuff playing in 7/11s when I visited Tokyo.

Would love your thoughts; in some ways it feels fairly rough - in others, like I'm not sure what more can be done with it - so I need some inspiration & feedback!

Here's the original theme, just in case you've never heard it or played the game (which you really must do, even if only for the soundtrack!)

And here's the demo version of my track (via Soundcloud):

Thanks!

I was very curious how one could make FF7's battle music into an elevator style song, and this did not at all disappoint. The switch to major was a smooth move, and the bouncy, overly active accompaniment really gives this that elevator music feel. That poppy organ was probably my favorite instrument in there.

As far as places where you could expand, improvements, etc., I suggest building in a bit of an introduction. It sounds like it just pops into existence; with a small bit of introductory material it it'd prepare the listener a bit better for what you've got, here. It might also help generate some ideas you can use later in the track, too, as an added bonus. Obviously my opinion more than anything, but if you're looking for ideas that's a thought.

The mix is a bit busy in this. The production is otherwise great, but if someone isn't familiar with the FF7 battle theme the overall track would be difficult to follow since every instrument is mixed more or less in the same place in the mix. Bringing out the instruments that are playing a theme the listener can grasp helps make the track sound more focused and goal oriented. Granted, this IS elevator music, so this meandering aesthetic might actually work to your advantage in this case, but it's an idea of an alternative direction to take the track.

Great little spur-of-the-moment track you've got here, though - I got a real kick out of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love this! I agree with Gario, I love that organ. Poppy indeed. I could really imagine hearing it over the speaker system at Shinra HQ. In fact, I just imagined this replacing the battle music while you're at Shinra HQ and it made me smile. :) It manages to be so different from the original while still being so fitting. I like the abrupt start too, since the original also starts that way.