MnP 84: Paper Mario (The Thousand-Year Door) - Petal Meadows

HoboKa

5 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Good news everyone!

ThaSauce staff informed me that all accounts are activated and good to go.  Next round should be no hitch (at least for people who already applied lmao)

Many thanks to HoboKa and the other entrants for all the hard work, and to everyone else for their constructive comments! Looking forward to seeing what's up for the next round.

This was pretty fun. I hope I can get in on the future ones. Good stuff everybody.

Satoka-Eldon - The string bassline is so dope. That alone gave the track a cool vibe. It's almost like Paper Mario meets Donkey King Country or something. I liked the introduction of the horns. Also the switch to 8 bit sounds was a welcome change and kept things interesting. I feel like this track could do more with some added swing and maybe "human error" if that makes sense.The bass, horns, and overall rhythm seem pretty jazzy but sound programmed.

Klevar Koopa/Mr. L - I like the change in vibe you gave to this one. From the very beginning, I could tell the idea you had in your head which is great. It sounds like a fancy brunch or something I don't know lol. The strings and flute sound good and fit the mood great. For me, the wind sound effect was too loud and distracting from hearing the melody. I wish there was a little more on the low end too.

Silverpool - I thought the more electronic sound of yours was cool. The drums were knocking throughout and had some quirks thrown in to keep it interesting. The breakdown was nice too. I was ok with the deep bells until about 2:35 when they start to go off and do their own thing. They have too much delay or something and it makes their solo hard to make sense of. 

I'm glad I got in on this and enjoyed listening to every track for sure.

8 hours ago, Chadlee said:

This was pretty fun. I hope I can get in on the future ones. Good stuff everybody.

Satoka-Eldon - The string bassline is so dope. That alone gave the track a cool vibe. It's almost like Paper Mario meets Donkey King Country or something. I liked the introduction of the horns. Also the switch to 8 bit sounds was a welcome change and kept things interesting. I feel like this track could do more with some added swing and maybe "human error" if that makes sense.The bass, horns, and overall rhythm seem pretty jazzy but sound programmed.

Klevar Koopa/Mr. L - I like the change in vibe you gave to this one. From the very beginning, I could tell the idea you had in your head which is great. It sounds like a fancy brunch or something I don't know lol. The strings and flute sound good and fit the mood great. For me, the wind sound effect was too loud and distracting from hearing the melody. I wish there was a little more on the low end too.

Silverpool - I thought the more electronic sound of yours was cool. The drums were knocking throughout and had some quirks thrown in to keep it interesting. The breakdown was nice too. I was ok with the deep bells until about 2:35 when they start to go off and do their own thing. They have too much delay or something and it makes their solo hard to make sense of. 

I'm glad I got in on this and enjoyed listening to every track for sure.

The swing is a good idea :) I also agree about the lack of humanisation, and I will try to implement it next time. (I only started to learn about techniques for it recently, and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet!)