Xenogears "Lost...Broken Shards" ReMix

Nicole Adams

Okay! Firstly, before I delve into the mix itself, you may be interested to know that there is a Xenogears project looking for remixers (just a few mroe, IIRC), and this is one of the unclaimed tracks.

Secondly: Awesome shizz. Love, love love the old school crackle on the intro. Also nice how it smoothly runs out of the crackle. The transistion to electro is somewhat sudden, which if you going for suddeness is all cool, but some might find it jarring. The percussion is solid, and I particularly like the variation there (someone's had fun with filter settings). I can't really comment too much about the strings and whatnot, becuase there isn't much more than that in the brief snippet you have delivered. The mixing is good, though.

In short: want more. ^_^

ocremixfan, the "dirty" feeling at the beginning is actually a vinyl VST. I wanted to give it an old time feel, but I need to adjust the parameters a little more and apply a low-pass filter so the upper frequencies aren't so piercing.

Splunke, I actually started this ReMix to send to the Xenogears project coordinators, but then I decided I didn't want to wait until the project is released because I would like to submit this to OCR right when I finish it up. Yeah, after a few people told me, I agree the transition into the main beat is sudden. I guess before I didn't think it was since I knew it was coming. I'll change it up. I just have to experiment with how I'm going to.

The song is actually around five minutes long, but I wanted to be a butt and just share the intro. :P

What a tease to stop right before the breakout! This is def a creative soundscape. Lot's of lil production values is always a plus.

I'm sure the xenogears project coordinators would love to have this song on the project. But hey you got a good point about not wanting to wait. I'm sure if you wanted to do a remix of your remix(a 2nd version) or pick up another song they wouldn't mind. :wink:

good luck on the judging.

I'm sure if you wanted to do a remix of your remix(a 2nd version) they wouldn't mind. :wink:

I don't know about that. I'll probably be so sick of this song when I finish it that hearing it one more time would make me gag. :P

Haha tru, i couldn't imagine doin a 2nd version from scratch of a song of mine. There is only one song a did 2 versions of, but it was only changes in instruments and that was it. Well your more than welcome to pick up any of the other tracks if you want. Stars of Tears is actually still open, mmmm celtic style electronic mix :D

Btw im using headphones, maybe some of the people who dont like it are listening to it through speakers?

I use both, and headphones is always better! :D And even like that, I disliked the vinyl effect. For me, if you want a music to sound like "old", you need old style (like faking 70's or something like it), not faking a LP...

Ocremixfan, thats just the thing, the music did sound old school! Older than the 70's, anyways. It had this whole string quartet + piano thing going on. Very much awesome. When I hear that intro, I get all these mental images of gentlemen with monocles and ladies with those awesome 19th century dresses, all of them watching the musicians on stage weave their magic. But I have a hyperactive imagination. The point is, I think the old school style suits the sound of the LP - they complement each other nicely.

Though its all a matter of a opinion.

It had this whole string quartet + piano thing going on. Very much awesome. When I hear that intro, I get all these mental images of gentlemen with monocles and ladies with those awesome 19th century dresses, all of them watching the musicians on stage weave their magic.

That's awesome! :) Anyway, I'm going to be getting some KRK monitors soon and I'll be doing the final mixing and mastering using them. Once this one is finished up, I have a SaGa Frontier ReMix of "Alone" that I need start working on again. :wink: Thanks for all the feedback!