Street Fighter II Ken's Theme Remix

Dreamcast Gamer

Hello Everyone!  I've been remixing video game songs for a few months now and I'm finally posting them here.  This is my latest remix, Ken's Theme from Street Fighter II.  It's complete, but before I submit it, I need to finalize the name.  Currently, I'm referring to it as "Street Fighter II Ken's Theme Hard Rock Remix," but if anyone could suggest a better name, that'd be great.

Let me know what you think of this one.  I have a few other completed songs that I'll post soon as well.

Dallas

Submit as in submit to OCR for judging? This is a fun cover, and some good work after only a couple months of remixing, but this is very unlikely to make it past the judges' panel. The arrangement is far too conservative, and the instruments sound very midi-ish.

Don't get me wrong; it's a fun listen. But it won't make it past the panel.

Yeah, I agree with Taucer, this sounds like a MIDI file was re-instrumented, and -- relative to the specific Standards here -- there's no realism to the instrumentation, the arrangement is repetitive and a note-for-note cover. Definitely cool to hear you make something as a beginning musician, and you're welcome to submit this, but it would receive the form rejection letter. Keep at it with making music though; everyone starts from humble beginnings. Listen to Street Fighter II arrangements on OCR to get more of a sense of the level of interpretation that we're looking for.

Yeah, I know it's more of a cover than a remix, but I wasn't sure how I could change the song significantly (that will change as I continue to improve).  As for the MIDI sound, I didn't think that was going to be a problem (now that I've closely read those standards, I realize it is).  I used my Casio WK-245 keyboard for this and while I know the instruments don't sound that realistic (particularly the guitar), I thought it sounded pretty good (compared to the standard Windows soundfont, anything sounds good).  I just bought this a few months ago and I won't be able to buy a really good one until later next year because currently my priority is buying better video equipment for my channel including a $2000 camcorder.  If there's a really good/affordable MIDI controller or keyboard you guys could recommend, I'll try to get that first.

I have a few completed MIDI remixes/covers that I'd like to post here so that they don't go to waste.  I think you guys will especially like my remix of Awaken from Gain Ground and Kim Kaphwan's theme from Fatal Fury 2.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad you guys still enjoyed them.  I'm always open to some constructive criticism and will do my best to continue improving my remixing skills (more covers are on the way for December since they were already completed).

Looks like you got a nice, warm welcome on here already, but I'll say it again: Welcome to OCR's WIP board!

Seeing that people already gave an accurate assessment of how this would fare upon submission (it would indeed be rejected due to the cover aspect and the fact that it's a MIDI arrangement), I'll look at this from a different perspective. First and foremost, this is definitely a pure, unabashed MIDI arrangement. Definitely nothing wrong with that if that's what you're all about - I was a hardcore MIDI arranger back in the day - but nowadays there's little reason in this day and age to ardently stick to GM MIDIs when there are plenty of samples and soundfonts out there that just sound objectively better. General MIDI soundfont has had it's run waaay back due to it's extremely efficient filesize (we're talking kilobytes rather than megabytes in filesizes), but it's been virtually phased out due to how fast computers and the internet processes things today.

That being said, looking at this strictly from a MIDI arrangement point of view, this is really quite good. The instruments are accurate and representative, and the overall presentation is nice and clean. If you haven't already, I recommend submitting this to vgmusic.com, since they're a site dedicated to posting MIDI arrangements. This isn't at all bad for the type and style of arrangement that this is, so in it's proper place it'll shine brightly enough (I have my share of MIDI arrangements on there too - mainly MM3 MIDIs - if you're ever checking MIDIs out ;)). In fact, if your other tracks are at this quality and are also MIDI arrangements I suggest posting all of them up at once on there, if you're looking for somewhere to showcase your MIDIs.

What kind of tools are you using to arrange these? With some luck you might be able to transition easily into sample-based arrangements, where many of the lessons of MIDI arrangement apply (correct notation, effects envelopes, mixing balance, etc.). You've got a promising start on things, here, so I'm hoping you can apply what you learned so far to some great arrangements in the future that break past MIDI arrangements.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:11 PM, Gario said:

Looks like you got a nice, warm welcome on here already, but I'll say it again: Welcome to OCR's WIP board!

Seeing that people already gave an accurate assessment of how this would fare upon submission (it would indeed be rejected due to the cover aspect and the fact that it's a MIDI arrangement), I'll look at this from a different perspective. First and foremost, this is definitely a pure, unabashed MIDI arrangement. Definitely nothing wrong with that if that's what you're all about - I was a hardcore MIDI arranger back in the day - but nowadays there's little reason in this day and age to ardently stick to GM MIDIs when there are plenty of samples and soundfonts out there that just sound objectively better. General MIDI soundfont has had it's run waaay back due to it's extremely efficient filesize (we're talking kilobytes rather than megabytes in filesizes), but it's been virtually phased out due to how fast computers and the internet processes things today.

That being said, looking at this strictly from a MIDI arrangement point of view, this is really quite good. The instruments are accurate and representative, and the overall presentation is nice and clean. If you haven't already, I recommend submitting this to vgmusic.com, since they're a site dedicated to posting MIDI arrangements. This isn't at all bad for the type and style of arrangement that this is, so in it's proper place it'll shine brightly enough (I have my share of MIDI arrangements on there too - mainly MM3 MIDIs - if you're ever checking MIDIs out ;)). In fact, if your other tracks are at this quality and are also MIDI arrangements I suggest posting all of them up at once on there, if you're looking for somewhere to showcase your MIDIs.

What kind of tools are you using to arrange these? With some luck you might be able to transition easily into sample-based arrangements, where many of the lessons of MIDI arrangement apply (correct notation, effects envelopes, mixing balance, etc.). You've got a promising start on things, here, so I'm hoping you can apply what you learned so far to some great arrangements in the future that break past MIDI arrangements.

Thanks for the feedback!  Yeah, I'm primarily a MIDI arranging guy.  I use Anvil Studio, a REALLY good, free sequencer.  I love VGMusic, but I'd rather upload wav/mp3 files so people can experience the song the same way I hear it.

I just downloaded a phenomenal soundfont and I've been working hard on some more remixes so maybe the next one coming tomorrow will qualify.