OCR03862 - *YES* Secret of Mana "Colours of the Winter Sky"

Gario

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): Secret of Mana
Song Title: Colours of the Winter Sky
Songs Remixed: What the Forest Taught Me, Color of the Summer Sky, Fond Memories
Comments: The arrangement was done by me, but the winds were performed live by my friend, Greg Orosz, AKA Gamer of the Winds (he’s agreed to this submission, here’s his youtube channel to credit him: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQFIzKI61fxibPgfPKeJQxw ).

• 1 month later...

Orchestration is up to Rebecca's usual high standards, but I don't feel like the humanization and production are quite there.  The contrast in humanization is quite strong because the live woodwinds are placed up against the mechanical strings and other instruments.  0:51 is an example of an especially jarring moment.  Then, 1:20-1:27, 1:31-1:39, and 1:50-2:00 are mixed in a confusing way, and come out sounding unclear.

This also has a bit of medley-itis.  2:20 and on doesn't sound like part of the same arrangement.  There are no common themes between the sections before and after that part, and the pacing is different.  There's also about 11 seconds of dead air at the end that should be cropped out even if this passes.

Sorry, but I think this needs another pass on humanizing those instruments and balancing out some of the cluttered sections, and I feel like the last third of it either needs to be integrated more meaningfully or dropped entirely.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

This was mixed too quietly, IMO, but it wasn't a big deal. MindWanderer's not wrong to ding the humanization, but I wasn't bothered by it as much as he was and felt the the samples were reasonably realistic-sounding and above our bar.

It's a medley, yes, but the level of realism was good enough for our bar, and the arrangement was personalized per Rebecca's usual instrumentation and textural changes, along with some tempo changes. The transition to "Fond Memories" at 2:20 did feel disjointed on some level, although the tempo slowdown at 2:08 was clearly and purposefully used as a lead in to that. To me, it's still not a great transition, but the effort was there and it's a brief blip in the grand scheme of things. The interweaving of the source themes around 1:20 was very smartly done, so that counterbalances any issue with the latter transition for me.

Yeah, I just can't say I fell on the same side of the coin as MW. Count me in!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/29 - (1Y/1N) Secret of Mana 'Colours of the Winter Sky'
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty much in agreement with Larry here. The humanization does have some flaws, but I think it's mostly due to being compared to the lube playing and on its own would still be alright. The transition at 1:20 was fantastic; if you're going to do a medley that's the way to go between sources. The latter transition is a bit rough but not the worst thing. I wasn't super feeling the way the track ends; it felt like there was going to be more to the track, but it's not a deal breaker to me.

Nice work, and nice getting some live instruments!

YES

• 6 months later...

I liked this quite a bit, nice performances on the woodwinds, and the adaptation works very well.  There's a lot of detail here in the production, and the low overall volume allows for a wider dynamic range that gives a more natural feel to some of the instruments.  The tambourines, for example felt like the performance was adapting to the overall arrangement, going from subtle to prominent and variances in-between.  As far as the merging of the two sources, there was little interplay between both and more of a transition from one to the next, which makes the track feel a bit medley-ish, and I think it was a missed opportunity not to try to weave them together a bit more.

Regardless of the small qualms I may have, this is very charming and pleasant, up it goes.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/11/29 - (3Y/1N) Secret of Mana 'Colours of the Winter Sky'
  • 4 weeks later...

Enjoyable rendition. Agree that things were mixed too quietly - not a major issue but the overall volume could've been bumped up a tad for this one. I appreciated the variance of instrument lead in each section, parts drifted in out making way for the next transition. The changes to the main melody early in the mix are subtle but add much needed originality. Things felt like they had wound up at the 2:20 mark but built up again, adding further original material. The attention to detail here IMO was quite good, natural changes in pace and velocity. Short, sweet and whimsical.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/11/29) *YES - TAG* Secret of Mana 'Colours of the Winter Sky'
  • Liontamer locked this topic