Email:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ds_music_official
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/DSMusic394
UserID: 34014

Game: Undertale
Arrangement Title: Gaster's Legacy
Link:
Source: Gaster's Theme

Comments: Just a fun little piano arrangement of this spooky theme, mashing it up with other themes such as the Mario Bros. Castle theme, Hopes and Dreams, and Megalovania to add some interesting story to the arrangement (Gaster is Sans? Game Theory was right for once?!)

• 1 month later...

Oh, man, this arrangement literally gave me goosebumps.  Lots of variation just in the treatment of the simple Gaster's Theme, and the insertions of dark versions of Hopes and Dreams and Megalovania worked perfectly to extend the theme while keeping the feel intact.  And the natural, slightly flawed performance helped make it much more evocative.

I will say, however, that balance was problematic, being heavily skewed towards the bass end in many places, most notably during the Super Mario World cameo at 0:42-1:00, where it's actually hard to listen to.

I think the strength of the arrangement and performance are enough to pass this, although I wouldn't say no to some more EQ work.  I definitely want this on the front page in some form.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/06 - (2Y) Undertale "Gaster's Legacy"
  • 2 months later...

People don't seem to get enough of this soundtrack eh?.  I like that most of the remixes of this game that I've evaluated are pretty unique.  The combination of both themes is done flawlessly and the performance is on point, with a broad dynamic range, used properly to set the pace and mood.  Even when the main hooks from the undertale theme are highlighted, which are a bit brighter in feel, it manages to make prevalent the dark tone the track started with.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/12/06 - (3Y) Undertale "Gaster's Legacy"
  • 1 month later...

Ooo, this is a pretty nice homage to Undertale, using the hidden track of Gaster as the glue that keeps it all together - I'm liking this idea. I do think it's odd to include SNES Bowser's theme in here (at 0:42), but it does sound pretty cool regardless. No rule against breakin' the game mold and expectation, eh?

The performance is quite good, though the overuse of lower tones muddies the performance up, especially when the lower tones carry the themes. It's not bad, per se, but in combination with the overuse of the sustain pedal the clutter does add up (especially during the SMW segment, as MW said). It's not an EQ issue, though; it's a performance (pedal usage) and arrangement (utilizing that range excessively) issue. Not a deal breaker, but keep that in mind next time.

That aside, I think it's a solid piano piece, and for the faults that overusing the lower end causes, it DOES create an overwhelming experience for the listener, in the best possible way. I'm all for this; let's get er' up.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2017/12/06 - *YES* Undertale "Gaster's Legacy"
  • Liontamer locked this topic