*NO* Mega Man 2 "Party Crashers"

Gario

New submission!

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Mega Man 2 NES
  • Name of arrangement - Party Crashers
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Crash Man Stage
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - none
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - I think this is on your site already
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
    I wanted to make ReMix from Crash Man stage and it turned to be a Drum & Bass ReMix this time! This ReMix is from 2016 and made with Renoise. Inspiration to this is drum&bass subgenre neurofunk, and at the time I made this I was into making neurofunk style tunes. It's always fun to try something new!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/27 - Mega Man 2 "Party Crashers"
  • 1 month later...

There are some cool, fun ideas here that made a lot of it enjoyable to listen to, but it has quite a number of issues as well.

First, volume and balancing.  It's mastered quite loud, and has some pumping and clipping issues.  The drums are especially loud, most especially the kick, which is throbbing and distracting.  I know that's what D&B emphasizes, but this is too much regardless.

Second, structure.  It's pretty repetitive, with each section looping for a few times more than is welcome.  There are also large-scale repeats:  1:55 basically loops back to 0:44, and then, after a breakdown, 3:23 loops back to 0:55.  There are some minor variations in each loop, but they're quite subtle and very hard to hear at all.

I also personally think the SFX in the intro are overkill.  It's also kind of odd that they're used so substantially there and then never return; some of it is actually used quite well and meshes well with the music, and could have been integrated into the body of the arrangement.  It's just too much, too quickly, and then it's over.

So yeah, I liked a lot of the specific arrangement choices in isolation, but there's not enough original substance for almost 4 1/2 minutes of music, and the balance needs some more work.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Man, old school Mega Man tunes are so ridiculously catchy.  OK, I love me some D'N'B so diving right in.

Off the bat, the overall mix didn't sound too loud as much as a bit out of balance.  It sounds like some of the sub/low freqs are heavy compared to the higher end.  Personally, I'd drop a bit in the sub range, and give it a bit more airy feel in the upper registers (even the bass can have have more mids/mid-high as opposed to all low), which should should give other elements like the kick a bit more room.

Liking the energy here.  I didn't mind the SFX so much, though it is pretty lopsided with a lot in the intro and nothing later.  I agree with MW that it could be cool to maybe tone them down a bit at the start and use the sfx that compliment the other parts later.

Nitpicks: phaser effect at 2:58 felt a bit tacked-on just for the sake of making it a transition.  

Also agreeing with MW on the repetition.  We're getting some wholesale copy-pasta for decent chunks of what's here (he didn't even mention parts 2:28).  Would love to hear more variation, not only in writing, but maybe a more diverse palette and perhaps also some drum variation (could half-time, alter the kick/snare 2-step pattern, etc).

There's a lot of great stuff here for sure and it's a fun listen.  Would love to hear it polished a bit more to really shine. :)

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/11/27 - (2N) Mega Man 2 "Party Crashers"

Read the other comments (kind of riding on them a bit, even), and I agree nearly wholesale - the track utilizes too much repetition, and the soundscape is very static. Mindwanderer's note on the SFX is an interesting one, because he's right - they're used in the beginning (to great effect, for the most part). I've heard you use a lot of SFX in your prior work (like your Flashman remix), so I agree with his assessment: either utilize them more throughout, or cut down on them in the intro.

I thought the drums were balanced well enough, personally - it IS DnB, after all - though I'll admit right now my headphones don't pick up the best bass right now. Nutricious and MindWanderer are probably correct that the bass is overly heavy, but I don't think it sinks the track on it's own. The repetitions and lack of variety in the soundscape (drums & 1/4 duty cycle squares throughout, baby!) gets my ears tired pretty quick on this one, though, and that's particularly what swings my vote on this one.

So, more consistent use of SFX (either more or less), balance the EQ distribution so it's less bass dominant, break up the repetition and make the soundscape more varied. Yup. Love your stuff, so I hope to hear this one come back to us!

NO