Link's Awakening - Mabe Village Chillout / LoFi Remix

FUSION42

Hey everyone,

I've been working on a chilled out version of Mabe Village from Link's Awakening.  I completely rearranged the song's chord structure, and played most of the riffs/runs using a midi keyboard.  This is a style I've been very fond of lately and have used it for some other Zelda Remixes, none of which I felt were worthy of submitting, but I think with some polish I might be able to get this one up to par.  

+Overall song structure/arrangement
+Mixing/sound choices

I included a middle section with a different vibe/different chords to spice it up a bit.  My biggest challenge on this one is that the tune is pretty short and only has one section.  I experimented with a few different ideas to lengthen the track, but if anyone has any other ideas I'm open to hearing them.  Right now I think the length is OK, but there is still more work to do to keep it from sounding repetitive.  

Lastly, I'm open to collaboration on this if anyone is interested (one thought was maybe a real guitar playing over some of the sections instead of my so-so plugins)  

EDIT: updated link, song is finished now, but I may go back and make changes if needed before submitting

Pretty good. I like the little sound effects in the background. Sounds like some water in a creek or river, maybe some birds chirping (?), and that distinctive "heh!" from OoT. This stuff, even faintly in the background, really adds to the environment of a remix.

And while you're right that the original source doesn't have that much to it, it's still a really good theme, so you can be forgiven for using it that many times. The variation in the middle works great.

Also, "A Forgotten Lullaby" and "Take Flight" kick ass.

1 hour ago, The Damned said:

Pretty good. I like the little sound effects in the background. Sounds like some water in a creek or river, maybe some birds chirping (?), and that distinctive "heh!" from OoT. This stuff, even faintly in the background, really adds to the environment of a remix.

And while you're right that the original source doesn't have that much to it, it's still a really good theme, so you can be forgiven for using it that many times. The variation in the middle works great.

Also, "A Forgotten Lullaby" and "Take Flight" kick ass.

Thanks!  So I actually "finished" this track over the week and decided to do a little visual EQ video for it.  I may still attempt submitting here sometime too.  

1 hour ago, The Damned said:

that distinctive "heh!" from OoT. 

Interestingly enough, I don't think that sample is actually from OOT.  It's from some other sample pack I have, and in isolation it didn't sound like that, but in the context of a Zelda mix it sounds like Navi, so I decided to keep it in.  Glad you liked the mix by the way.