SGX - A Meal For a Whale - Electroplankton DONE

sgx

EDIT: All done: http://www.sgxmusic.com/music/SGX%20-%20A%20Meal%20For%20a%20Whale.mp3

The full track is 7.5 min long and I feel itflows much better than this truncated one, but I'm saving that stuff for my album

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=102671&songID=4731992

Sorry, just a link to a streaming file right now. Don't like to have WIP mp3's floatin around.

I decided to challenge myself to make a song with only two primary sound sources: A piano patch and Electroplankton for Nintendo DS.

So every sound in here is either directly from or some sort of effected derivative of the piano or electroplankton, including the drum samples which were sampled from the patterns in the game then totally rearranged. Some of the sounds I played a loop of the song into the DS mic and had EP fuck with it and send it back to my computer for manipulation.

I think I need to get more plankton flavor in this. I'll probably do another play/recording session to get a few more sounds from the game in here. Structure and ending is really rough and un-final. Just wanted to show this concept I'm working on.

Sweet! I really dig your work! In fact, I love it!

Ok, now enough fan adoration, and onto the actual song.

It's pretty darn awesome what you've made, I mean, its style contrasts greatly from your recent works like Haven and Peripatetic. The piano at around ~2:00 reminds me of The Wingless' work slightly, and that's a great thing. =) Although, it does have your own flavour to it, and near the end it reminds me more of your other film score work, so it's cool you're trying to integrate that into your works now too.

Unfortunately I can't tell anything about the arrangement, since I don't know the original, but nonetheless, I still like listening to great music. =) Good work, I like your direcition here.

It's an electroplankton original, not a remix. I don't know if there are default songs in the actual game, but this song won't be passed unless you remixed one of those if they exist, or remixed a song from another game with electroplankton samples. Even then, electroplankton wouldn't appear in the OCR database, but only the song you remixed...

...Unless by some weird change of events the judges decide to make an exception for this game only. But then it would be like OverClocked&ElectroPlankton ReMix, since this would be the only place to get songs made with electroplankton. Actually, that's probably not true. Are there any sites out there that let people submit and download originals done with this game? I bought a DS just for this game, but then never got around to it, so sold the DS.

Sounds interesting, but I'd have to check again when something more is done with it.

personally i was disappointed with the ending.
Structure and ending is really rough and un-final.

There aren't any songs in Electroplankton. There are a few beats which I sampled from to make mine, but that's about it for pre-existing material. The rest is just different sounds and notes that you can vaguely control. It is very hard or impossible in most of the little sound-making scenarios to actually make a specific melody you want - control is very vague and loose. The computer is sort of equally responsible for what actually is produced in the end. In that way, since EP is not like one of those MTV Music Generator games that is totally relying on the user to create the music and sounds, I feel that my EP song, while not an arrangement of any pre-existing track, is a bit more valid as a submission to OCR than people might think.

EP is about music, but it is more about timbre, texture, and abstract ambience music than it is about melody. I think ambient music (and I mean real ambient, like stuff without melodies, chords, and all that) is just as valid as 'regular' music, so I think a submission to ocr being snubbed because there wasn't a lot of 'notes' in the original to begin with would be a bit of a snub to the whole ambient genre.

Besides, I think my song will be cool and creative. I'm doing a lot of cool manipulations of my recordings from EP that I feel actually go with the overall mood and feeling of the game. I think that people who are into music and games (most of those who come to this site) and are into music games like EP will find my song worth the download from OC. That's my case for it anyway 8)

I think ambient music (and I mean real ambient, like stuff without melodies, chords, and all that) is just as valid as 'regular' music, so I think a submission to ocr being snubbed because there wasn't a lot of 'notes' in the original to begin with would be a bit of a snub to the whole ambient genre.

i listen to lots of ambient music and this barely falls under that category. the fact that i was disappointed with the ending is not because i have something against freeform music, but because i was disappointed with the ending. that's all.

i think this is a cool idea but i'm pretty sure it won't get on ocr for one main reason: it isn't a remix. a song done with sounds from a videogame isn't a videogame remix any more than a song done with sounds from a saxaphone would be a jazz remix.

again this isn't anything i have against the song, which i liked, it's just that there's a good chance it won't make it here. maybe a judge should comment.

Well, I am taking musical elements from the game and arranging them, so I really can't say its not an arrangement of anything. Is the game in-eligible to be remixed because a lot of the music is different each time it is played?

I understand it is controversial, but I'm a bit surprised most who have commented feel it is that black and white. Have you guys ever played Electroplankton?

I was making the track before I thought to submit to OCR, so it won't be a big deal if I can't get it up. This track has more Electroplankton in it than sephfire and my Intense color has Mario Paint :lol:

edit: btw, i updated the file with a new version.

• 3 weeks later...