Yoshi's Island-'Caves' Theme

Anorak

Well, this is an ambient, very minimalistic mix of the before-mentioned theme from Yoshi's Island. I did it a while ago, and found it while deleting a bunch of files and thought it had some interesting tones to it, so I uploaded it. No plans to submit it, but any feedback would be highly appreciated.

And yes. I do realize the volume is rather low. It seems to be a problem with some of my mixes... Maybe my ears are too sensitive... :lol:

EDIT: The mix, which I forgot...doh.

No, this is the Works In Progress forum, so none of these mixes would be on the site itself (yet). The link is working fine for me though, so you might want to try again. Give it a minute to begin downloading-this host has been giving me some troubles recently.

The instrument the melody has too slow an attack. It's almost impossible to hear the melody. I also think the 1½ minutes of the same, repeated background is very boring. The whole thing sounds like something from those old Arnold action movies... It picks up a little bit at 3:30 or so. Again, the melody instrument has much too slow attack, and it's pretty annoying, too.

No, I'm not a big fan of ambient. :) I think you could throw in a few seconds, at least, of a more steady and upbeat cover of the original. Most people will barely recognize what song this is.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't bad. The volume is my main concern with this. I think that the intro lasts a bit too long, but still, I love the overall mood of the piece. Taking this theme in an ambient direction is one of the last things that I would've thought to do, and I think you succesfully pulled it off.

That being said, this would be a lot better if you added some more sounds, not a whole lot, this is a minimalist piece after all, but just a few would go a long way here.

I liked the sound you used for the lead, but it became hard one the ears around 3:30.

I'd have to say that I'm about half and half on this one, I love the theme, mood, title, and concept. However, I think this just needs a boost in volume, as well as a few more sounds thrown in around the piece so some parts (your intro, for example) don't drag on as much.