Final Fantasy Prelude - Piano Mix

Sethiroth

The entire remix was recorded via keyboard. I did not use the arpeggios(sp?) that the original theme has, and instead based the remix on the melody of the theme.

Download here. There are two references to a couple of video games at the end of the mix, so listen and see if you can tell what they are! You may have to wait a few minutes for the music player to appear for the download.

I entered this in Dwelling of Duels and got a tie for 18th place out of about 30 entries. I didn't get much critique there, so hopefully I'll get some here.

Nice I like it, it is nice and soothing. Section around 1:49 is nice. Along with the other section later where you expand the melody. Can't pick out the other VG references though.

I think the this is very good, but it lacks some of the consistent overall expression and depth usually found in piano solos. This does have some sections in the middle that are beautiful. Also the choir samples could use some work.

I think the this is very good, but it lacks some of the consistent overall expression and depth usually found in piano solos. This does have some sections in the middle that are beautiful. Also the choir samples could use some work.

Agreed. The harmony throughout the piece is very nice, and I believe it does have the potential to make it onto OCR, if you're willing to put a little more work into it. I strongly suggest taking avaris' suggestions, and you will be well on the road to having your submission accepted. I'd love to see this make the front page, it really is a gorgeous piece of music.

As for the other game references, I heard Rydia's theme from FFIV VERY briefly (like three notes of it) earlier in the piece, and then again more extensively later (it sounded beautiful, by the way). Immediately after that, I caught a nice piano rendition of the Mute City theme from the F-Zero series. I was particularly impressed with how well you made the latter fit in so unobtrusively, had I not recognized it, I never would have known it was from a game so drastically different from Final Fantasy.

Again, nice work, just needs some minor details touched up. Good luck on getting this accepted =)

Thanks guys. I will be getting a nicer keyboard soon so hopefully I can get a better piano sound.

retard18426 said:

As for the other game references, I heard Rydia's theme from FFIV VERY briefly (like three notes of it) earlier in the piece, and then again more extensively later (it sounded beautiful, by the way). Immediately after that, I caught a nice piano rendition of the Mute City theme from the F-Zero series. I was particularly impressed with how well you made the latter fit in so unobtrusively, had I not recognized it, I never would have known it was from a game so drastically different from Final Fantasy.

You got the Mute City reference right. The other one was an F-Zero X reference (Silence) immediatly after the Mute City reference. I was just playing with the melody and found out that they both fit.